US Postal Question

One benefit of living in a big city: the USPS delivered the chicks to my house.

They called first to make sure I was home and were there in about 10 minutes. I signed for the chicks and that was that!

big_smile.png

(I knew the chicks would be coming that day, so I had arranged to work from home.)

My post office called me at about 9:30 in the morning and said there was a package of chickens for me, and said I could either go pick them up or they would deliver them to me around 10.
I had them deliver them because I would have to get ready, get my two little ones ready and by that time, they would have been delivered already.

Hmmm...I think I would complain about your post office too! Closing for several hours in the middle of the day??:eek:

They sent a guy special to my house when my babies came in last week. A total surprise! I was trying to figure out how to get three kids and a box of chicks out of there in one piece! And ended up with front door service! (thank god!)

I live in a town where theres about 500-600 people. The post office is very small. The last time I had chicks mailed(from the same place Im getting them this time) I let them know ahead of time what day they would be coming and asked when I could pick them up. He told me the truck didnt get there until 10am. So I was at the post office around 9:30 waiting. Sure enough the truck was there around 10:15 or so. The post master gave them to me right there.

So I would think each post office is different and it depends on what time there mail truck gets there with the mail.

I had 3,000 day old pheasants. they called at 4 AM, I pick up at the back door at 6 am. I think all the chripping was driving them nuts.
All my other they call 8 or 9 AM.

My mom's cousin is a rural route mail carrier in Illinois. He thinks it's funny/weird that chicks are shipped vias USPS. He doesn't seem to mind delivering them directly, though.

A big lot of chicks *is* pretty noisy! I remember when I picked up my girls at the feed store - those water troughs filled with chicks were stunningly loud!!

Quote:
I got called at 6:55a and 7a when my chicks arrived. Funny thing is we live in a small town (village) and there are only two people who work at our post office. And they both called that day
smile.png
They told me I could pick them up anytime - just to go to the back door if they weren't open yet.

Last edited:
I live in a small area, maybe and I stress maybe there are 1,000 people in my area. The local postmaster knows my husband and I pretty well and she knows I have poultry orders coming in pretty regular in the spring/summer and sometimes off months. I call and let her know when I expect them to arrive, and we arrange for me to pick them up between 7:30 and 8 am everytime. She is always there by 7:30 am and that is about the time the truck goes.

The Post Office usually opens at 8 am but my post master lets me get my chicks before the post office opens because she would rather I take them home FAST so they won't have to worry about them being in the office.

Quote:
I tried the 1-800 # and they just refered me back to my post office and told me to talk to the supervisor.(what a joke)She did say I could not use another post office unless I had a PO box.
We had a lady that was the post master for many years,she ws great.,knew everyone by name.Once she retired our customer service went in the garbage.It sounds as if each office policy depends on the postmaster there.
No tips in their christmas card this year.

Thank you for all that responded to my post. Will

We live in a small town and its set up really weird around here. The actual post office for my addy is 15 miles from me, downtown. But...I have 2 other post offices within 5 miles of me.

I ordered chicks from McMurray in April and asked if they could change the post office destination. I picked the post office closest to me, about 2 miles away. Called them to let them know chicks would be coming around a certain day and left my phone number. They called me on the scheduled delivery day at 6:45am and told me to knock on the door in the lobby to pick them up.

I have an order coming from Ideal this week and I tried the same route with the same post office. I am crossing my fingers that Ideal gets the shipping info right and my chicks don't sit downtown waiting for delivery.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom