USDA inspection? For local farm market

In Texas you have to have a yearly Pullorum/Typhoid clean test on your flock.
This is governed by USDA and is free if you are not selling out of state.
The eggs should be in a new carton, it has to have a label on it stating where the eggs are produced, and that they are ungraded. If you use a carton from a grocery store, the label must cover the company name.
If you grade your eggs, or sell to a grocery store, then you have to do a whole different set of testing, where the USDA comes out and tests your eggs. I don't know how much that costs.
These laws cover eggs only.

If you intend to sell chickens anywhere other than your home, you have to have the Pullorum/Typhoid test and a certificate from Texas Animal Health Commission. The yearly fee for this is determined by how many chickens you have. TAHC comes out and inspects once a year before you can renew your certificate.

So, in Texas, egg sales are governed by USDA, not the state.

Jean

"had considered selling eggs and chicks at the local farmer's market... where do I start looking for those "rules and regs"? "

I just typed in colorado health egg Regulations.

thanks for all your help

From the State of Washington Egg Safety page:

Poultry or egg producers may sell eggs from their own flocks directly to the end consumer from the place of production without the purchase of an Egg Handler/Dealer License or Egg Seals from WSDA

Shell eggs are a perishable food and must be handled properly with care under cold and sanitary conditions to assure consumer safety.

well here is Pa's idea on selling eating eggs

Selling Eggs in Pennsylvania: for Small Producers

Many individuals with small flocks of laying hens prefer to market their own eggs. If an egg producer has less than 3,200 laying hens and sells eggs within five days from the date of lay and sells eggs predominately within a 100 mile radius of their production or processing facility, then the following summary of regulations will apply when selling eggs to the consumer.
All eggs must be maintained at 60 degrees F or less from the time of gathering to the time of sale. This also applies to eggs sold at farmers markets or at roadside stands.
Each carton, flat, or container of eggs must be labeled with the following information:
Name and address
Date of lay
Statement of identity (eggs)
Net Contents (in 3/16 inch high letters)
"Keep Refrigerated"
Egg Handling Instructions

If you do not weigh the eggs or if they are mixed sizes, and you do not wish to assign a grade, they must be labeled unclassified. You also must remove dirty, leaker, or loss eggs.
Weight Classes
Size Per Dozen Per 30 Dozen Individual Egg Min. Wt. on Egg Scale Individual Egg Min. Wt. on Other Scales
Jumbo 30 oz 56 lb 29 oz 2.42 oz
Extra Large 27 oz 50.5 lb 26 oz 2.17 oz
Large 24 oz 45 lb 23 oz 1.92 oz
Medium 21 oz 39.5 lb 20 oz 1.67 oz
Small 18 oz 34 lb 17 oz 1.42 oz
Peewee 15 oz 28 lb

There are three consumer grades of eggs -- Grade AA, Grade A and Grade B. In order to mark your eggs with these terms, they must meet the requirements for the marked grade. If you would like to grade your eggs and need further information on requirements for consumers grades, please contact the PA Department of Agriculture Egg Division

Quote:
Here's something to make you all laugh. I typed in Alaska health egg regulations in Google search. What are the first sites I get - regulations on FISH eggs!!!

I got that too!!!!
gig.gif
gig.gif

Did you find anything? All I found was a paper on the Alaska Poultry Disease Surveillance Program.

AKBB - I'm still looking. It's going to be in the regs from AK Dept of Environmental Conservation (ADEC). It might be easier just to e-mail them than to sort thru the regs though.

Sweet! Thank you much! I had actually gotten as far as ADEC, and gave up the struggle. I HATE reading regs!
lol.png

Quote:
What type of insurance? Since I don't live in an agricultural area would I even be able to get appropriate insurance?

Turn your farm into a business (cheap) then get a commercial liability policy for the business (pretty cheap). Your homeowner's policy will not cover you one bit, unless it's actually Farm Insurance or has a Farm Insurance rider on it.

Seriously, is it worth losing your house becuase you make $10 per week selling eggs? Protect yourself as you never know how people will handle the eggs once they take them from you. And if they get sick for any reason at all, you'll be the first to be blamed.

Back
Top Bottom