USDA inspection? For local farm market

Littlecimarron18

Songster
12 Years
Jan 3, 2008
Colorado
so i just talked to a woman about selling my eggs at the local farmers market and she asked if i knew the heath regs. Well no i dont know them, that might be a problem? I dunno, but then she goes on and is like Do you sell chickens? well no i do not, but then she says, good cause they have to be usda inspected too. So do i have to have an inspection for my eggers? I dunno. Also do you think i will have to few eggs for this thing, I have around 60 laying hens.

Don't worry about selling at the farmers market. You can sell from the comforts of your own home with just getting the word out to family and friends. Tomorrow I will have 44
fl.gif
Pullets. I just purchased a very sweet Roo from Gumpsgirl today (I just wanted him so he would crow) and I have had people just hear me talking about getiing chicks and they had me take down their name and # for eggs in the future.

If you go to the market, you have to get up early, load the eggs, burn liquid gold to get there, take a chance of not selling all you took, have to load them back up, burn more liquid gold, unpack & be flat wore out.

Sell'em at home. Let the people come to you.

If the chickens lay them, they will come. LOL

Quote:
The handling of eggs is different from State to State, however all the rules are pretty much identical from State to State as well. Speaking for Washington, only, even though I suspect the rules to be the same elsewhere, to sell eggs off your premises you must:

a) have an egg vendor/handling license
b) submit your facilities to inspection
c) have use by dates, safe handling instructions on your packaging
d) if you grade or size the eggs, they will inspect that too during your inspeciton
e) clean all eggs, use clean packaging and properly label eggs (each dozen needs a stamp on them in my state)

So, no you do not need USDA approval to sell eggs to a grocery store or at a Farmer's Market. You need State approval.

Quote:
Maybe true, but I'm skeptical. Poultry and rabbit slaughter/inspection is also a State by State thing. Only if you process over 19,999 chickens a year does your facility require USDA inspection. So, she is incorrect in stating it requires a USDA stamp. (Note, Oregon currently requires USDA inspection for meat chickens, but as I understand there are some waivers for the requirement for people who grow & process themselves).

So it depends really on the laws in your state. Ask your extension agent as they get this question all the time I bet.

Quote:
If you sell them from your house, then probably not. If you want to leave your driveway and take them to work, or a market, then probably you do. It's pretty easy, at least here. Again ask your Extension Agent as they probably have a pamphlet all ready there expaining the rules in your State.

I have about 110 hens and I get my annual inspection. It's no big deal and my food safety inspectors are great resources for questions.

The lady is probably just frightening you off because she doesn't want inspection.

P.S. IF YOU ARE GOING TO SELL EGGS, GET INSURANCE BEFORE YOU DO SO. PERIOD. DO IT.

oh my.
I looked up colorado egg rules and regs, and it says unless i sell 250 dozen or more a month than i dont have to do anything, But i am still going to talk to the local Health person on saturday.

Good idea. Even if the State says they won't license or regulate you, your County may still have health codes regarding storage of items sold at farmer's markets. For example, in my County, I must sell frozen meat out of a freezer. The next county over, I could use coolers filled with ice to do the same thing. It sounds like you're doing your research, let us know your results so others can share.

In Indiana, you can just load them into your car and take them to the farmers' market. A friend sells at a local one and all she does is put them in a cooler w/o ice. I have seen them just setting in the back of a pick-up.

I had considered selling eggs and chicks at the local farmer's market... where do I start looking for those "rules and regs"?
hu.gif

P.S. IF YOU ARE GOING TO SELL EGGS, GET INSURANCE BEFORE YOU DO SO. PERIOD. DO IT.

What type of insurance? Since I don't live in an agricultural area would I even be able to get appropriate insurance?​

when I get overrun with eggs I run an ad in the local paper- fresh eggs from happy hens- with my address. Last year I got a call from the local farmers market manager and I decided to sell there too- it helps with the farm sales.
I needed a california egg handlers certificate ( a simple form and 15bucks)
resale license
membership with the farmers market organization

I also sell other things so i got the produce and plant certified producer certification too.

I buy the generic cartons with the safe handling procedures preprinted. (we are not supposed to reuse cartons) I had some address labels printed with my address and packed on: sell by: so we just jot the dates down (a month apart).

We gather three times a day (40 hens), clean and refridgerate them at the end of each day. We do not grade.
I LOVE doing the farmers market- even if I just have 10 or 15 dozen it is a blast! I get 5.00 a dozen and people are happy to pay it. (local grocery store sells the "organic" "free range" and "vegetarian diet eggs for 4.99-5.99)

good luck!

ps- when I really have a glut and it is off market season, I give a few dozen away- like a drug dealer- people always come back with money in hand for more! Some customers give them as birthday gifts and take them as Hostess gifts!

Back
Top Bottom