USDA Processing Exemptions

booker81

Redneck Tech Girl
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Mid-MI
I got this pdf when I inquired about having processing classes at my house. It's a long document, but it explains how the exemptions work for processing chickens for personal use or processing for selling.

Thought I'd give it it's own thread, since it's pretty informative, and written for people to read, not a court
smile.png

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oppde/rdad/fsisnotices/poultry_slaughter_exemption_0406.pdf

There's a yes/no flowchart as well that tells you if you'd qualify for exemptions, and then explains the licenses and exemptions
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the document!! I have been wondering about that for some time, but haven't had enough extra time to do the research myself. I will have to share that with some neigbor's as she SWEARS you CAN NOT home process...

Thanks!

Quote:
Depending on what your state reg's are they may be right. This is a very helpfull link, but it is only for USDA reg's. Every state has the right to modify these requirements and make them more stringent then the national reg's, and most states do. YOU MUST CHECK WITH YOUR STATE FOR THEIR REG'S. Thats point can not be stressed enough. They will almost always be different then the USDA, but they can not be more lax.

Thank you, in Wi you can home processing 1000 birds to sell off your farm, if your over 1000 or off the farm i.e. farmers market you need a state inspected processer, I know some are up to 3000 on farm

Washington State decided those Federal Regs weren't strict enough for all the dangerous farmers here.

WSDA Special Poultry Permit

Farms selling less than 1,000 slaughtered poultry of any species in a calendar year may operate with a WSDA Special Poultry Permit.
This permit allows the farm business to sell processed whole birds within 48 hours of slaughter. Poultry must be sold fresh.
This permit does not allow further processing, parting out, vacuum sealing or freezing.

To get the permit, you need to submit an application that includes a “Slaughter/Preparation Site Diagram” and a “Detailed Processing Steps or Flow Diagram.” As well as schedule a date for a trained WSDA food safety inspector to come to the farm to verify that the facility, slaughter and processing is done in compliance with state food safety requirements. You also must submit all processing dates so they can be on file. Oh... and it's $75 per year for the permit.

Thank you WA! I feel so much safer now!
rant.gif

Quote:
To get the permit, you need to submit an application that includes a “Slaughter/Preparation Site Diagram” and a “Detailed Processing Steps or Flow Diagram.” As well as schedule a date for a trained WSDA food safety inspector to come to the farm to verify that the facility, slaughter and processing is done in compliance with state food safety requirements. You also must submit all processing dates so they can be on file. Oh... and it's $75 per year for the permit.

Thank you WA! I feel so much safer now!
rant.gif

NV is the same way - with their own regs and you must be permitted.

I have this pdf - dated 2001 - regarding each state and if they have their own laws or follow Fed. Regs. http://www.apppa.org/legalstates.pdf

How about this one for NM.

The Law. The agency responsible for inspections in New Mexico is the Department of Health and Environment. No exemption from inspection is allowed for poultry slaughtered on the farm in New Mexico.28

Never mind that there are no processing facilities in Southwestern NM. The whole southwestern half the state is guilty. Every 4-H family I know processes their own chickens.

Quote:
I would love to believe it's as easy as selling live birds with free processing if requested. I very much doubt the WSDA would see it that way... but if you don't ask...

Processing your own birds that you don't sell... is all fine and still legal, right? And you can gift all the self-processed birds you want, right?

So what about gifting all your processed birds and only accepting donations? Would be a risky business model for sure. Anyone do this?

Cheers!

Joel Salatin's book about raising poultry says that he sells birds alive or dead and then will process them for free if requested. Of course, everyone asks for their birds to be processed.

Back
Top Bottom