Use of Flock Block...

teach1rusl

Love My Chickens
14 Years
Jul 28, 2009
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Was in TS yesterday looking for more ways to boost protein for my girls who are moulting. I currently use sunflower seed, meat and fish, etc., but had read about game bird feed and such and wanted to check that out. I didn't realize that Flock Raiser has 22% protein vs. Layena at 16%. Since I offer free choice oyster shell, I bought a 50 lb bag of the Flock Raiser and am mixing it with the layer feed for this round. While there, a couple was going on and on about Flock Block (which I've heard mention of here on BYC) and how their chickens eat a LOT less layer feed when they keep Flock Blocks around. But these look like big blocks of scratch mixed w/other things to me. I read the label and it's only maybe 9% protein, which of course isn't going to help my girls grow feathers back any quicker. So is Flock Block mostly a treat, like scratch???? I can see offering it this winter to build up fat/energy and maybe to help with boredom, but I can't see using it to cut feed. Am I looking at this the right way??? I've always used the "candy bar" analogy when referring to scratch, and that's kind of how I see these Flock Blocks.

I bought one the other day. I figured I'd give it to them for something to ocuppy them if the weather gets real cold. It normally doesn't where I live but it did last year. Also, thought it might warm up their belly's.

I agree, about the only thing it's good for is to give them something to do if they are cramped and bored.

Do be aware that layer is 16% because that has been shown to be the best % for best egg production. I increase protein when they need it, too, like regrowing feathers, but don't be surprised if it cuts down just a bit on egg production. Of course, when they're moulting, you won't get a lot of eggs anyway.

Yep it's used mostly in winter. I use them too because my birds are locked up tight over winter and don't want to even think about getting snow on their feeties. It helps keep them content. I mix up layer feed with gamebird for extra protein over the winter as well.

Back
Top Bottom