USED to have grass before chickens-HELP!!

Some breeds scratch less then other breeds. Its known that heavy feathered footage chickens scratch less.

No one ever told my Brahmas that.

They can dig a hole deep enough to bring their backs level with the ground in a single afternoon.

1006201437h_HDR.jpg

I think you will just have to keep them from roaming on the area your reseeding. Chickens are really hard on the ground
X2. Putting down grass seed that chickens have access to is a waste of money. I speak from experience. Just close off all access.

Chickens are really hard on the ground, though, so in reality putting down more grass won’t do any good because they’ll dig it right back up.

Clover gets horrible little white flowers on it though.
Horrible?? 😱 I love clover flowers! They look like little heads, like a bunch of little kids playing in the grass. They are great for bees, too. I'm not one to insist on a uniform perfect carpet grass though, I like a more natural look and flowers of all kinds are welcome.

chickens and grass don't mix. You keep emphasizing that you would never get rid of the chickens, but nobody is suggesting you should. The solution to a
I chuckled at this. I think what OP was saying is "I sure do miss my grass. But i love my chickens more!" "That sure is an unsightly mud puddle. But i love my chickens more!" And OP repeats that mantra every time they mourn their missing grass and stare at the bare dirt and mud. 😁
I think most of us who love our chickens more than we miss the grass and landscaping nonetheless feel the same as you. U have been given many great ideas to help u address your situation. I have a friend who has 9 chickens. Half of her large backyard is absolutely beautiful. Plants and flowers both potted and planted, beautiful manicured grass, paver stones and walkways give it a professionally landscaped look.
The other half? A welded wire fence divides her yard, & the second half contains 9 chickens and their coop. Nothing green in the chicken yard, just dirt and dust-bathing holes. The contrast is hilarious! My friend loves her chickens And her flowers and lanscaping, and has found a way to enjoy both. Me, i do miss my flowers and landscaping i had before i got chickens. But i love my chickens more! Repeat. Repeat. Repeat!

Horrible?? 😱 I love clover flowers! They look like little heads, like a bunch of little kids playing in the grass. They are great for bees, too. I'm not one to insist on a uniform perfect carpet grass though, I like a more natural look and flowers of all kinds are welcome.
I like the clover flowers too. But not in the grass where I want to walk with bare feet in the summer. Too dangerous to get a bee sting.

Back
Top Bottom