USED to have grass before chickens-HELP!!

From Nature's Way, you'd be looking at this. Clovers, more clovers, even more clovers, some flax, and buckwheat for a bit of height.

If you'd prefer something more "grassy", look for fescues, orchard grasses, plus chickory, clovers (of course), bird-foot trefoil, vetch, etc.
Thanks! Starting with your initial suggestion...gets here 3/11 from Amazon. I'm off the whole next week so can work on fencing that area off.:):celebrate

You can also build 2x4 frames (think window casing but as big as you like) and attach 1/2" chicken wire, then pay on the ground. Allows the chicken to peck at the taller pieces as they grow without scratching up the new roots. Works well if you have fence jumpers and don't like to clip wings.
Excellent idea!! So far, no fence jumpers....thank God! That was one thing about RIR I found REALLY irritating! lol

OK, I have a question. My chickiepoos have eaten all the grass in my backyard closest to the house. How do I reseed my "mudslide" without them eating all the grass seed? What grass seed is available without a coating that may make them sick or kills them? They free-range my entire backyard with no problems as I have a wonderful protecting dog who loves to play with them. Now that she is no longer a pup she doesn't try to catch them and ends up killing them because she is so much bigger than they are. They actually come up on my deck to try and eat her food, and she LETS them!! lol
My chickens DESTROYED our yard. Literally. No grass left. It's all dirt, mud, and leaves now.

I'd X2 the post about planting "forage blends" and clover. White dutch clover is my favorite since it seems to be hardest to kill. Go for a "meadow" effect instead of a golf course. You can still mow it, but it will be a mix of things and not a uniform lawn. But it survives chickens better.

Also, you'll be supporting your local bee and butterfly population with your back yard!

My chickens DESTROYED our yard. Literally. No grass left. It's all dirt, mud, and leaves now.
Bless you. I have tiny patches here and there widely scattered. Despite them doing the grass major damage, I wouldn't trade them for the world. They are even more entertaining than my dog or cat and that's saying a lot! Spring is a'comin so you might find some grass left too.

Back
Top Bottom