Using a 6x4ft shed as feeding area

Laburnum-Roos

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 27, 2014
Hi

We have a 350 sq meter run with a old out building brick toilet for their coop, approximately 3x5ft and 8ft heigh. I currently keep their food in the coop and keep their water outside. In there run we have a 6x4 shed that we currently keep bedding, feed in etc. I was wondering if it were a good idea to remove the door off the shed and allow the chickens permanent access to this shed for there feeding area, it will also give them additional shelter from wind rain etc. their coop would benefit from not having the feeder on the floor right in the Centre of the coop, and give extra space whilst jumping up and off there perches. What If the chickens like the shed and stay in there rather than see there coop as their " place of residence" I would not fit any perches in the shed for that reason.

Your opinions on this matter would be a great help :)

Feed shelters are great...however, close up all feed in bins to keep rodents out at night!

They will love having a place to hang out. I have only had a problem with chickens moving into the feed shelter for the night when they were very young and not imprinted on their coop yet.

That's good then, I may keep door on and bolt it shut when I lock them in their coop at night. That will save me covering or removing their feed.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom