Using a Heat Plate

I read a little more into this method, Like you most people have used them in pretty low temps with great success. May I ask what brand of heat pad you’ve had luck with?
I've used this one with great success, multiple hatches over the course of several years (including setting it up for friends as well).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V1GZGR4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Chicks are resilient and can handle temperatures much lower than the common recommendations (those come from large scale commercial hatcheries and work for their setups, but aren't set in stone as a rule). Chicks hatched by a broody are out and about even in cold weather, as long as they have shelter and can go under her whenever they need to.

If it helps I looked into this for the Rent-a-Coop plate and they say that it will work at any outside temperature but that below 50°F the very young chicks will not venture out from under it very often or for very long. So if it is below that all day you need to check they are eating and drinking enough. It shouldn't be an issue at night because they will be asleep under the plate.
I don't know if it is true, but it seemed logical - the colder it is outside the plate the less they will dash out to feed.

If it helps I looked into this for the Rent-a-Coop plate and they say that it will work at any outside temperature but that below 50°F the very young chicks will not venture out from under it very often or for very long. So if it is below that all day you need to check they are eating and drinking enough. It shouldn't be an issue at night because they will be asleep under the plate.
I don't know if it is true, but it seemed logical - the colder it is outside the plate the less they will dash out to feed.

During this cold snap, and with my concern about Slowpoke's mobility, I've been putting dishes of wet mash right next to the plate.

But I'm also seeing feed scattered all over and kicked into the waterer so I know that they are out there eating even if I don't see it.

I read a little more into this method, Like you most people have used them in pretty low temps with great success. May I ask what brand of heat pad you’ve had luck with?
No specific brand. My previous one was some no name brand (like Kef or something?) and my current one was again some random one I found on Amazon without a shut off. The most common one recommended here is a Sunbeam but any working pad that does not have an auto shut off will work.

I have a heating pad that's about that size. It has adjustable heat, but no auto-off. Do you have any recommendation on heat level? It's got low, medium, high.
The way I do it is start on high, then turn it down a notch in about 5-7 days, then again in another 5-7 days or so. I watch the behavior of the chicks to determine if I'm going too fast with that, too slow, or right on target.

The way I do it is start on high, then turn it down a notch in about 5-7 days, then again in another 5-7 days or so. I watch the behavior of the chicks to determine if I'm going too fast with that, too slow, or right on target.
yes this. Rosemarythyme was who helped me last year when I started using mine. :)

Back
Top Bottom