Using chemicals to euthanize birds

Suffocation with anything you get get retail is not humane. At worst, you use ether, and it burns, at best you use dry ice and they still suffocate to death.

Cervical dislocation is the most humane method available for home culling. Whether you break the neck or chop the head off.

I'm sorry you learned the hard way.

I am absolutely appalled at what you did to this poor bird. You should not own any animals. I'm going to lose sleep over what you did, that was so inhumane. Did you really think that you were going to eat the turkey after you gassed it?

I am absolutely appalled at what you did to this poor bird. You should not own any animals. I'm going to lose sleep over what you did, that was so inhumane. Did you really think that you were going to eat the turkey after you gassed it?
Definitely a very graphic story and I don't think they will do the ether method ever again. Some much better suggestions were made. Poor turkey. I do wonder if the ether would marinate the meat in an unpleasant way.

This is a thread for information and what not to do. Your pointed judgment of who "should and should not own animals" is juvenile and uncalled for here. Please keep your opinions to yourself if you don't have something constructive to add to this discussion.

This is a thread for information and what not to do. Your pointed judgment of who "should and should not own animals" is juvenile and uncalled for here. Please keep your opinions to yourself if you don't have something constructive to add to this discussion.
Oops 5 years ago, apparently hopefully still keeping opinions away.

Re: Dry Ice and other CO2 methods

Once I was present when a director used dry ice for stage fog. It predictably sank into the orchestra pit and nearly euthanized the musicians, brass section first. We had to drag them out. They were not pained or even very upset.

IMO there are too many who try to re-invent the wheel when it comes to “humanely killing “ birds . It’s not hypergolic fuel technology .

Killing cone/sharp knife,
cervical dislocation/broomstick
Either method works.

If it is that emotionally taxing, get someone to do it for you.

Back
Top Bottom