using extremely high temps to hatch only females

Pics
Has anyone tried this, or read any articles on it?
yes, yes, I know roosters are important- but as a person who always gets 80% roosters I am wondering if this has been done. I know with other species (human for example) female sperm can survive less than ideal conditions much better than male- so I was hoping someone else had done an experiment.... otherwise I might.
Thought it was determined before egg. Mother determines sex

Refrigerated eggs holds truth to more females. I only hatch refrigerated eggs mainly, occasionally fresh.

Last hatch was 6 females, & 4 males.

My fresh hatch was 2 males, & 2 females.
You can used refrigerated eggs in the incubator ?? I had no clue how long can the be refrigerated ? Love to hear how all that works !! Thks

Anyone ever try the high PH on the hens? (lots of apple cider vinegar in the water) for pullets? I know a couple of horse breeding farms that will " guarantee a filly" by upping the ph of the mare's uterus at breeding. I've heard of people putting ACV in the water to do a similar thing to hens (would the gut tract actually work for upping the egg production tract???)

This works in reptiles. In birds, you’ll likely be killing innocent embryos.

That is the whole idea--that you can selectively kill one gender of chick, to save sorting them out later.

And from what I've read, it's not even very effective at doing that. (Doesn't kill any, or kill too many females too.)

That is the whole idea--that you can selectively kill one gender of chick, to save sorting them out later.

And from what I've read, it's not even very effective at doing that. (Doesn't kill any, or kill too many females too.)
I think it would kill all of them, not just males, if the temp was too high.

I think it would kill all of them, not just males, if the temp was too high.

It does.

Either there is a particular temperature that is JUST hot enough to kill one gender and not the other, or there is no such temperature.

I think if there was a temperature that killed male chicks but not females, all the hatcheries would be using that, and male chicks would not be so cheap and plentiful. So I think it probably doesn't work.

But I like reading about people's experiments, and sometimes what I think turns out to be wrong :D So I'm watching to see what happens here.

Back
Top Bottom