using extremely high temps to hatch only females

Pics
Disclaimer: This is my pet theory only.

As others have pointed out, what you're really doing is creating suboptimal hatching conditions, since birds don't work like reptiles in this respect, and only some reptiles work like that anyway. But I think the idea is destined to fail anyway. Why?

In mammals, females have better survival rates in general. There are slightly more women than men on earth. Premature baby girls stand a better chance of survival than boys when all other factors are considered. Psychological disorders that cause conflict that could impact life expectancy are more common in men than women. In a drought, Cynthia Moss observed that every single male elephant calf died. So did many females, but all the survivors were female.

There are lots of reasons for these differences, but I always go back to those babies. At birth, a difference already exists.

In chickens, of course, things are flip flopped. Males have two of the same sex chromosome, ZZ, while females have ZW. My theory is that there is something stabilizing about having two of the same chromosome. That's why we see these slightly higher rates of survival in female mammals. Unfortunately, it means that those suboptimal conditions you're talking about favor males. You could go too hot, or too cool, too dry or too wet, males would still be more prevalent in the surviving chicks.

Let's face it, we don't do artificial incubation like the experts (the chickens.) We do all right, sometimes we do great, but when we don't, embryos die. When some can survive, who survives? I know that for me, when things go wrong, that's when I start to see the all cockerel hatches. I think, like male mammals, female chickens are more susceptible when things aren't just right. The male embryos are hardier and more likely to survive our attempts at incubating, as long as we don't get it too terribly wrong.

REALLY?? wow- please let me know the results of the 2.5 month old refrigerated eggs.
VERY INTERESTED!!!!!:love
Will do. The eggs dated Sept 10, were refrigerated without turning and no intentions of hatching. I brought to room temperature for a few hours, some sweating occurred. Since they're Bielefelder, I should be able to tell gender at hatch. Air cells were there but not too large.
and the 3 week old eggs hatched as well as 1 week old eggs?
I have hatched 3 week old eggs that were stored at room temp and not turned, lavender Ameraucana.. all hatched with a little bit of shell hanging attached to umbilicus which I clipped as it was dried out. DO you already have this link that shows how to store eggs for extended periods before hatching including when turning is relevant or not. The information is reliable regarding "optimal" incubation and has tons of other information. It might be worth book marking if you haven't done so already..
Incubation guide

Note the producers of this incubation guide ARE consider "big chicken" and do NOT benefit from throwing out ANY eggs.
maybe hatcheries dont want to waste 80% of their eggs if they can sell as straight run.
The eggs that don't hatch or aren't sold as male broilers are used in pet food and fertilizer. They're definitely watching their bottom dollar but (just about) everybody eats chicken and hatching males is NOT undesirable when you have a plan or a use for them. Also if they were worried about not being able sell straight run, then why offer sexed birds at all? I never have any issue selling straight run chicks and does any of the hatcheries that only offer them that way.. And honestly.. I'm NOT sure if I want to let go of any straight run chicks or possible cockerels.. keep my genetics to myself, keep the monopoly in my area. But overall, though I understand how rooster or males are certainly not needed in excess numbers over hens.. I would replace the hens AND all of their offspring and start with other stock.. Your hatches with "other's" eggs looks pretty spot on gender ratio wise. I love seeing your records, nice job!
We just don't know. Maybe it'll make them more or less cold hardy, who knows.
Actually we DO know and yes.. it does increase heat hardiness in birds that experience a temp spike on a SPECIFIC day near hatch to a certain temp. Cold hardiness, not so much as far as I have found. Great thinking there!
But the hen determines the sex of the chick.
And yet no matter how many times it's said or what evidence you bring there will be nay sayers. This link shows differences that take place and at what stages..
https://febs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1742-4658.2011.08032.x

https://www.musc.edu/mbes-ljg/Courses/Biology of Reproduction/Paper pdfs/Smith et al 2007.pdf
While that is true, if she does not like the rooster she will have more male offspring, some hens even expel the semen after mating if they do not like the rooster.
I'm not sure about the male offspring thing.

But it is true that a hen has the ability to try and expel sperm to some degree though maybe not 100% effective.. it is one way for her chosen mate to have more likely hood of siring her offspring. Interestingly one documentary I saw also stated that subordinate and less attractive mates (in nature) actually put out larger secretions with more viable active sperm to increase HIS likely hood of siring ANY offspring. So interesting all the little things nature does to fill EVERY niche! :cool:

How many different hens did your eggs come from?

I've read that most hens produce about equal numbers of males and females, but that some few hens do produce more of one gender or the other. So if your eggs mostly came from one or two hens, that might explain the unusual ratio with them. (Doesn't explain the purchased eggs, of course.)
my flock is 25 but I usually pick different hens to hatch from depending on what im trying to achieve. ID say maybe 10 of the 25 I've hatched eggs from

my flock is 25 but I usually pick different hens to hatch from depending on what im trying to achieve. ID say maybe 10 of the 25 I've hatched eggs from

Clearly not just one hen, then. Hmm.

You listed how many hatched, but do you know how many failed eggs there were in each of those clutches?

(I'm finding it fascinating that you've got all these details available, although I have no idea how to help you get more pullets.)

YEs- in the 1st hatch of 9 eggs under broody - I gave her 12. she rolled one out, 2 didnt hatch.
2/3/4 hatches under broody hens- all hatched but one egg that summer - so 17 eggs and 16 hatched.
5 - the big hatch- started with 48 (including ones that were unfertilized etc)
6- other big hatch - started out with 47 (including unfertilized)
7- 8 of 8 hatched under broody
8- I think I started with 26 eggs - there were a large number (9 I think) that were unfertilized when I candled at day 10 the first time- all from my 2 welsummer hens.

so I dont think my hatch rates are bad. just lots and lots of rooster chilli.

its late- I think those numbers are right... memory is failing lol

I did have a run of a$$hole roosters for a year. This one is very nice to the hens...so far he's a keeper, despite his terrible comb.

I bought 18 olive egger eggs last spring and got zero hens laying olive eggs. think about 13 hatched of my supposed olive Eggers.... so must've been all s
How did they have chariot races without the wheel?
Well I believe the pyramids were built about 1100 or 1200 years before any chariot racing.

Will do. The eggs dated Sept 10, were refrigerated without turning and no intentions of hatching. I brought to room temperature for a few hours, some sweating occurred. Since they're Bielefelder, I should be able to tell gender at hatch. Air cells were there but not too large.

What is your hatch date?

I will try an experiment then. When I have extra CLB eggs I will put them in the cold cellar and leave for 3 weeks. then hatch 5 from each week. Maybe I will turn them, though. or turn half of them.

How many different hens did your eggs come from?

I've read that most hens produce about equal numbers of males and females, but that some few hens do produce more of one gender or the other. So if your eggs mostly came from one or two hens, that might explain the unusual ratio with them. (Doesn't explain the purchased eggs, of course.)

I would try to switch your rooster out and see if a different rooster yields more females.

I would try to switch your rooster out and see if a different rooster yields more females.

How?
The hen is the one with ZW chromosomes, who gives Z to her sons and W to her daughters.
The rooster has two Z chromosomes, so he gives the same thing to each chick (same as regards gender, not other traits.)

(Birds have their sex chromosomes backwards of mammals. So while a human man, or a bull or stallion or ram or tomcat, is the one that determines the gender of their babies, birds do not do it that way.)

Back
Top Bottom