Using fish tank as brooder?

On
Yes a BIG BIG YES..., wish I had a big tank like yours..... I luv more natural stuff. I bought a 10 gallon used aquarium last week... only used it for one day.. cause with 7 chicks looked crowded.. But if I could have kept the food to the walls or up in the air would have used it longer
  So now I am using the Xmas tree big tote....just hate the thought og plastics.... well anyway......they luv jumping and running back and forth...I call them all sillybutts... could stand there and watch chick TV for hours....Gonna find the swing Hubbymade last year and find a little roost.....
 thanks yall just commenting
only reason I have one is because I have fish, and my old 55 started leaking in one of the top corners. I held onto it for a little over a year now and I'm glad I did! Always check craigslist, people sell them all the time!

My issue with the 55g tank as a brooder is the same issue I have with the 55g tank as a fishtank - poor surface-area-to-volume ratio - you're going to have poor circulation and airflow, and that may cause moisture issues.

Most of mine get raised in a big stock tub.

Great! Unless I find a coop before then, I asked a family member to help me build a coop, but they aren't available to help until beginning of March.
They grow SUPER FAST. When do you plan on having the coop "finished". Just something to think about. Our brooder is a orchard packing box that is 4'x4'x3'high. We raised 8 chicks this past fall in it and by 8 weeks they were crowded and ready to move into the big coop. At a month your setup may become crowded.
Best wishes to your new adventure with your chicks. They are so much fun.

Unless I happen to find a suitable coop between now and 2nd week of March is when my cousin is going to help me build one. If the tank isn't going to be the best thing for a brooder, I may just try grocery stores and get large boxes and make a large brooder that way.

Watch your temperature and humidity. The glass tends to reflect heat and make it warmer than you think it could be
Same with changes in humidity. Check to make sure it is proper. Your hygrometer should be at the level of the chicks back. I used a 50 gallon once and that was enough. No repeat for me.
Best, Karen

Hi there,
I have a fish tank about the same size as yours,
I hatch about 70 chicks a year.
And I put my day olds in there for a few days.
It has always worked perfectly for me.
I put in their brooder some food, water and sawdust.
I keep the lid slightly open to keep humidity down in there.
I wouldn't leave the chicks in their too long though,
As it can get crowded very quickly.
Goodluck,
Fionn.

Last edited:
I've got mine in a small rabbit hutch with plexiglass on the sides so they can't squeeze out. They can see me and put up a ruckus when I leave the living room!! :) It's about 2 x 2 feet.

Back
Top Bottom