Using fresh wood chip in a chicken run

pinksapphire

Songster
10 Years
Sep 22, 2013
I just got a load of fresh wood chips from a local tree surgeon, (I think it is mostly Leyland cypress) and wanted to put some in my chicken run, is there any reason not to use wood chips around chickens, ducks or geese?
They are only locked in the run over night, it is a large covered run and is well ventilated as it is wire mesh on two sides.

I just got a load of fresh wood chips from a local tree surgeon, (I think it is mostly Leyland cypress) and wanted to put some in my chicken run, is there any reason not to use wood chips around chickens, ducks or geese?
They are only locked in the run over night, it is a large covered run and is well ventilated as it is wire mesh on two sides.
There are a few types of wood that aren't recommended to use around poultry (I believe black walnut is one of them). So as long as you check to make sure it's an approved tree, you should be fine. I use fresh cut wood chips in my chicken and duck coops.

It's better to let the chips age and dry before putting them into the chicken run because there is a specific, dangerous mold that grows on fresh, green wood chips.

If you need them ASAP, you can use very thin layers of the driest chips from the outside of the pile -- letting them dry thoroughly before adding more.
x2. Better safe than sorry and you will easily build up a good layer of chips within a year or so doing it this way.

There are a few types of wood that aren't recommended to use around poultry (I believe black walnut is one of them). So as long as you check to make sure it's an approved tree, you should be fine. I use fresh cut wood chips in my chicken and duck coops.
I’ve googled like crazy to find out if the wood chips I got from a neighbor are chicken safe. They cut down their tree and the tree company was nice enough to give me the chips for free. I live in NYC, they said it was an “Atlantic” tree

Back
Top Bottom