1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

using hydrated lime whitewash in the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by erinszoo, Jul 30, 2012.

1. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Ok, I've been reading up and am totally confused at this point. Some places say using hydrated lime as whitewash in the chicken coop and stirred into the bedding in the yard is perfectly fine and will help with the smell as well as bugs and flys. Other places say never ever use hydrated lime around chickens. So, anyone with experience I would appreciate some insight please?!? It seems bizarre to me that we eat hydrated lime in pickles and tortillas and it's used to clean our water but it's supposedly dangerous to use around animals. All we want to do is whitewash the floor and walls of our new coop to help keep water out of the wood, to cut down on smell, and to help eliminate bugs.

2. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I use it just on the ground. I think the danger can come if they breathe it into their lungs. The white wash I would think is fine. There would be little dust with that.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: Whitewash isn't going to keep water out very well.

You'll be better off to paint the coop and use AG lime for odors

Hydrated lime is very caustic when wet and can cause breathing problems

4. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville

5. Tishwa

Tishwa New Egg

Mar 27, 2015
    Hydrated lime is safe to use for whitewashing the inside of the coop. The bag will probably have instructions on it. You will need to wear gloves while handling it and a mask to keep from breathing the dust while mixing it. My sister has had chickens for 20+ years and does it all the time. I am going to whitewash my coop today. Good luck!

6. lwiese58

lwiese58 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2013
    Cleveland, GA
    Tishaw, did you get your coop whitewashed? If so, would you please share the process you used. Do you have any pictures? My new coop is close to being finished and I need to figure out if/ how I'm going to do this. There are so many crevices in it I feel like I need to do something to prevent it being a nice new hotel for mites. Plus I like pictures I've seen of whitewashed structures. They look so fresh and clean.
    Also, exactly what needs to be done annually to maintain it? I've read to needs to be reapplied, but does that mean the walls must be washed down first? Thanks so much!

7. RVAFanfarmer

RVAFanfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2015
    Richmond, Virginia
    I primed mine today and plan to whitewash with the old fashioned lime recipe as well. Wondering though how long it takes to dry before I can add the chickens into coop?
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by