Hydrated Lime

Kenzie22

Chirping
Oct 2, 2021
Today, I sprinkled hydrated lime all around the inside of my chicken coop and a little bit in each of the nest boxes, what should I expect that to help with? There are lots of flies, and in some of the nest boxes there are lots of ants. Thank you! Also, I was thinking I read somewhere that it is beneficial to sprinkle some in their water too, is that safe?

I decided to try this because when an egg would sit in a nest box, there would either be maggots underneath of it or ants everywhere, and currently, I have an ant problem, so decided to try lime before figuring out what bug spray is safe for chickens.

Hydrated lime is caustic, it shouldn't be used around animals or garden area.

If you need insect control use permethrin 10 or other products that contain permethrin. You can buy it at any farm type store or order it online.

Okay, so what do I need to do if I already sprinkled some in my chicken coop and nest boxes?

You have to clean it out. As far as the nest box you should check to make sure it's completely dry and maintained that way. No poop = no maggots or flies.

You can use agricultural lime around the chicken area. It's a lot safer for the chickens and help with the ants. Just keep the area of application dry and undisturbed.

Okay, so, I am a little confused, what will the lime that I put in there do to the chickens?

Thank you, I cleaned it out today and am going to put new shavings in today yet. Would I have seen burns by now if I was going to?

Back
Top Bottom