Using lattice for roofing....

ThinkingChickens

Songster
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
So, I saw another BYCer use lattice for the top of her run. I LOVED the look of it. We are going to use vinyl lattice for the top of our coop. It will be tarped in snow and rain but we're in Cali so that's not a major issue. Question:

1. Do I need to add hardware cloth underneath the lattice or is this overkill (it will be screwed into 2x4's)

The girls will be locked into their coops 99% of the time but on occasion we'd like to leave for a day and not worry. So far we've seen no predators but obviously they will find us eventually.

YES! Please do use the hardware cloth underneath. There are so many predators that could squeeze through the lattice.....You would be surprised.....

I wonder then if I'm setting myself up for failure as we are doing welded wire mesh on the top half of our run, hardware cloth on the bottom. We chose this because it's allows for better viewing and because we have an additional 6' high solid cedar fence around the run. The holes in the lattice aren't any bigger than the 2"x4" holes in the welded wire mesh. So, are we looking at problems?

Do I need to add hardware cloth underneath the lattice or is this overkill (it will be screwed into 2x4's)

Yes you do. There is no such thing as overkill to keep the critters out.

The holes in the lattice aren't any bigger than the 2"x4" holes in the welded wire mesh. So, are we looking at problems?

Possibly. It will keep dogs out. Raccoons probably not. Snakes could come in easily. (Yep, snakes can climb.)​

I'll have to check for the smaller gauge lattice. It has to be vinyl lattice though because when using it for roofing and living in an area that gets some snow I know the vinyl holds up. We've had some outside for years and it looks brand new. I'll post more photos and we get it up. We are going to have it overhang a little for a more stylish look. I'm excited. Now, the idea was from this post (to give credit where credit is due):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=530459

I loved this the moment I saw it and my husband did too. It provides good shade, tons of air circulation and is stylish which is important for us as this is the biggest feature of our backyard.

Back
Top Bottom