1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Using rubbermaid tubs as brooders?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SilkieLover01, Mar 31, 2016.

1. SilkieLover01

SilkieLover01 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2014
    Question everybody--what do you find best to use as brooders that's a low risk of catching fire? I use to use metal tubs (which I'm not a huge fan of) and rubbermaid tubs back in the day. I haven't had chicks in years though. After surviving an arson last year, I'm very hyperaware of anything that "could" catch on fire. How flammable are the rubbermaid tubs? Has anyone had one catch on fire? I just want to minimize the risks as much as possible!

2. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Many of us are foregoing brooders all together and brooding in a safe pen right in our coop or run. We are also foregoing the heat lamp, which is very dangerous, and using a heating pad system instead.

It's as close to natural as you can get without a broody hen, and heating pads have no where near the fire danger that heat lamps have.

See my article on tossing out your brooder and brooding outdoors linked under "Articles by azygous". Lots of photos and reasons why this works out far better for chicks and their humans.

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I use a great dane sized kennel (our dane lets us borrow it lol) and this year I bought a heating pad, but it was huge for 2 birds. TSC had heat mats on sale for $15 and we used that instead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by