Using sand as litter????

Thanks to all for the great advice I think I've made the decision to go with sand in the coop. Thanks again and feel free to keep posting on the thread if someone had an unanswered sandy question.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yes that would be easier IMO, just rake up pooh and away ya go, I think any clean sand should work, in my brooder I'm using kids play sand. but at most local yard and garden centers they usually have bulk sand I wopuld ask if its cleaned or mixed with anything, but it should be fine. Kim

Quote:
Yes that would be easier IMO, just rake up pooh and away ya go, I think any clean sand should work, in my brooder I'm using kids play sand. but at most local yard and garden centers they usually have bulk sand I wopuld ask if its cleaned or mixed with anything, but it should be fine. Kim

Cleaned..... check!

My chicks come next week and I am planning on using sand from the local concrete ready-mix company due to the fact that they use a washed river sand. I have read that this is best (due to its size) and also the cheapest way. My coop (in Illinois) has a concrete floor so if I have to change to something else at least clean up and removal will be easier. Can't wait for my PeeP's!

As long as the wood floor is dry I think you will be fine. The only down side I have read is if the sand stays wet.

I have used sand in my brooder (big clear plastic tub) and it worked so well I started using it elsewhere. Now my silkies and cornish roost on the edge of a black plastic tub like you get to mix concrete in and it is filled halfway with sand for weight but it also makes clean up a breeze with a kitty litter scoop. The edges are just the right size for bantam feet so everyone is happy.

Quote:
Not generally, because sometimes it can freeze in wintertime, and more generally it is just waaaaaay cold on their feet and legs compared to shavings or straw.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom