USPS embargo on live animals (chicks) through Feb 26, 2021!

Amazon uses Amazon, USPS, FedEx and UPS. I have had many packages come through USPS from Amazon including UPS SmartPost where UPS hands the package off to USPS for final delivery..
I've never used Amazon. But I DO get the mail and have never had an Amazon package in it. So I can admit that I was wrong LOL (There are others that get USPS in the same box that I get my mail in and they DO use Amazon. So the reason I've never seen it isn't just because I don't use Amazon. LOL )

My mail always comes through the local mail carrier. Anything big, comes through the UPS truck. That is includes Amazon for me. True, very true. There is no way to tell what's in the packages. (Is what everyone assumes, anyways. I've only heard rumors.) The part about no place to house them is only one of the reasons why they need to ship them. The other is that within the first 48 hours, chicks don't need that much. They might be provided with stuff to help them survive, but water can't be shipped with them. The older the chick gets, the harder it'll be on the chick for survival. That's why it's so important. Then for the ones they can't ship- overcrowdedness because of no place to put them. That will lead to unhealthiness, and waterer and feeders that can't be kept up with and possibly a lot of deaths of the chicks. As far as not shipping them out for their safety, it'd be safer not to even hatch them. But how is one supposed to know what will happen in 21 days?
I believe that the 48 hours is because chicks are still absorbing the nutrients from their yolks, and don't need food and water to survive.

My mail always comes through the local mail carrier. Anything big, comes through the UPS truck. That is includes Amazon for me. True, very true. There is no way to tell what's in the packages. (Is what everyone assumes, anyways. I've only heard rumors.) The part about no place to house them is only one of the reasons why they need to ship them. The other is that within the first 48 hours, chicks don't need that much. They might be provided with stuff to help them survive, but water can't be shipped with them. The older the chick gets, the harder it'll be on the chick for survival. That's why it's so important. Then for the ones they can't ship- overcrowdedness because of no place to put them. That will lead to unhealthiness, and waterer and feeders that can't be kept up with and possibly a lot of deaths of the chicks. As far as not shipping them out for their safety, it'd be safer not to even hatch them. But how is one supposed to know what will happen in 21 days?
Right. But some hatcheries DO ship older birds. So it CAN be done if one wants to do it bad enough. And while this is NOT going to be a popular thing to say, this sounds like this is an EXTENSION. If there were eggs currently in the incubators, when this all started, but not hatched yet........ (You can probably imagine what I am thinking.)

Right. But some hatcheries DO ship older birds. So it CAN be done if one wants to do it bad enough. And while this is NOT going to be a popular thing to say, this sounds like this is an EXTENSION. If there were eggs currently in the incubators, when this all started, but not hatched yet........ (You can probably imagine what I am thinking.)
Agreed. On the older chicks, that like 4-5 weeks old to months old? As far as chick chicks... With the large amounts not being shipped and they being stuck with them, there is still the issue of things chicks have that won't be possible to meet. Not only cleanness, waterers and feeders, there is also things like pasty butt. Those older shipped chicks is either cancelled orders, overstock, or planned. Either way, they were prepared for those. With these, they're not prepared. Something else that nobody is talking about, which is probably cause nobody is seeing it as important, but these chicks cost money all around. Anything that produces heat also cost money. Things don't improve, things get really bad, there's a chance of bankruptcy. :hmm

It has been a GIANT issue for people that have their meds that they NEED sent by USPS too! (It has been an ongoing thing for MANY months. And it isn't like many people can just drive however many hundred MILES to pick them up. It has been an ongoing issue with the VA and all the meds mailed to veterans.
We have some meds that come via mail though not through the VA. At one point they lost 2 shipments in a row. It’s lucky that it wasn’t one of the more important ones. We’ve also had a package that shipped from Wyoming to Montana to Ohio to Pennsylvania, then spent 2 weeks in West Virginia and was finally sent through Virginia and Georgia before arriving in Alabama about 5 weeks later. It was supposed to be 3 day shipping.
Older birds are much more expensive to ship though. The ones I’ve looked at have been at least $70 a bird to ship.

We have some meds that come via mail though not through the VA. At one point they lost 2 shipments in a row. It’s lucky that it wasn’t one of the more important ones. We’ve also had a package that shipped from Wyoming to Montana to Ohio to Pennsylvania, then spent 2 weeks in West Virginia and was finally sent through Virginia and Georgia before arriving in Alabama about 5 weeks later. It was supposed to be 3 day shipping.

Older birds are much more expensive to ship though. The ones I’ve looked at have been at least $70 a bird to ship.
My point EXACTLY! LOL That is just NOT OK! (The only place I have looked at {Meyer} is $50 each for shipping.)

Back
Top Bottom