USPS embargo on live animals (chicks) through Feb 26, 2021!

I bought chicks from them and they kept randomly dieing. Last month I bought a dozen Crested Cream Legbar hatching eggs and they sent 11. 6 of them were infertile pullet eggs. I was not happy and let them know. I got one chick to hatch.
I sold all of my Bresse (for butcher) except for 1 splash hen and 4 white hens. Down to 2 white hens and the 1 splash. I have never seen anything like it. FWI my Bresse roosters were nasty mean...
Sorry to be a Debbie... I really hope things work out better for you.

I bought chicks from them and they kept randomly dieing. Last month I bought a dozen Crested Cream Legbar hatching eggs and they sent 11. 6 of them were infertile pullet eggs. I was not happy and let them know. I got one chick to hatch.
I sold all of my Bresse (for butcher) except for 1 splash hen and 4 white hens. Down to 2 white hens and the 1 splash. I have never seen anything like it. FWI my Bresse roosters were nasty mean...
Sorry to be a Debbie... I really hope things work out better for you.
Sounds like I'll stick to Murray McMurray and Cackle Hatcheries where I have gotten productive and healthy chickens through the years. I also currently have a few large breed hens and bantams from TSC (Hoover's) and they have done well too. I am considering getting some Cornish Bantams as well. Valley Hatchery appears to have a nice selection of those.

Sounds like I'll stick to Murray McMurray and Cackle Hatcheries where I have gotten productive and healthy chickens through the years. I also currently have a few large breed hens and bantams from TSC (Hoover's) and they have done well too. I am considering getting some Cornish Bantams as well. Valley Hatchery appears to have a nice selection of those.
If you want Cornish bantams, get them from Ideal. I seriously cannot say enough good things about that hatchery. I got 10 last year (5 BLR and 5 WLR) and only had one substitution of a Dark for a WLR. But all of my BLR were actual bluenlaced red, not splashes or blacks mixed in. The birds were all healthy, didn't lose one chick, gorgeous birds and somewhat friendly. I can go and grab them, even if they're not handled often. I brought a BLR trio and a WLR trio to fair last year and walked away with grand and reserve trio out of about 14-15 trios.

I only kept 5 (3 WLR, a WLR male and the dark gal) but the ones I sold were still almost perfectly laced. Also got big, fast, and even with mice, they're easy keepers
20210303_191730.jpg

If you want Cornish bantams, get them from Ideal. I seriously cannot say enough good things about that hatchery. I got 10 last year (5 BLR and 5 WLR) and only had one substitution of a Dark for a WLR. But all of my BLR were actual bluenlaced red, not splashes or blacks mixed in. The birds were all healthy, didn't lose one chick, gorgeous birds and somewhat friendly. I can go and grab them, even if they're not handled often. I brought a BLR trio and a WLR trio to fair last year and walked away with grand and reserve trio out of about 14-15 trios.

I only kept 5 (3 WLR, a WLR male and the dark gal) but the ones I sold were still almost perfectly laced. Also got big, fast, and even with mice, they're easy keepers
View attachment 2555753
They are very nice looking birds and thanks for the recommendation. I now just have to convince my wife that the 43 chickens that I presently have are simply not enough. :wee

My bad... I believe it was Purely Poultry. I look at too many chicken websites for my own good. :rolleyes:
I'd buy from Ideal instead. Same list of colors, cheaper, and I agree with JacinLarkwell that Ideal sells nice Cornish Bantams. I haven't taken them to a show, but I liked having them in my yard. (And Ideal's minimum order is smaller, too: $30 minimum is 7 bantam chicks, while Purely Poultry requires 15 chicks.)

Last edited:
I'd buy from Ideal instead. Same list of colors, cheaper, and I agree with JacinLarkwell that Odeal sells nice Cornish Bantams. I haven't taken them to a show, but I liked having them in my yard. (And Ideal's minimum order is smaller, too: $30 minimum is 7 bantam chicks, while Purely Poultry requires 15 chicks.)
Plus they have an instant chat during work hours to help with orders

Back
Top Bottom