USPS embargo on live animals (chicks) through Feb 26, 2021!

43 chickens? What's the problem? And bantams don't count as one, anyway. Somewhere there's a 'chicken math' formula, very helpful for those of us who get down to only forty birds total for winter, and up to ninety or so in summer.
Those Cornish bantams look really nice! Don't tempt me...
Mary
Well the backstory is that I once got up to 142 and my wife remembers it very well. But my 60th birthday is next Thursday and I can't think of a better present than getting baby chicks in the springtime. My wife really dreads this time of the year. :celebrate

Is your white bird dominant or recessive white? Any idea? It would be a shame to loose those blue types, so handsome! Unless they aren't as nice as your white birds.
Post more pictures, and information about their weights later, please.
Mary
I incubated eggs from my Bresse, white is dominate.

My 20 chicks are still ok this AM. Hope my experience with these chicks is better than some others have had. Worst case scenario, freezer camp for all cockerels in 16-20 weeks and for any non-productive hens. Please don,t tell me they are inedible. That might make the feed bill painful. Seriously chickens are all fun for me. Low expectations and mostly positive surprises.

My 20 chicks are still ok this AM. Hope my experience with these chicks is better than some others have had. Worst case scenario, freezer camp for all cockerels in 16-20 weeks and for any non-productive hens. Please don,t tell me they are inedible. That might make the feed bill painful. Seriously chickens are all fun for me. Low expectations and mostly positive surprises.
Nothing's inedible if you can be choosy about what parts you take (If the bird was culled for a health reason) if you mean just because of age or sex, then nope, all edible

So is this embargo still going on? I haven’t caught up on all messages. Forgive me for not reading them all I’m just super busy right now.

my hubby said his friend tried ordering chicks and they told him they’re not accepting orders. However, I didn’t get details since hubbies don’t do details sometimes.

So is this embargo still going on? I haven’t caught up on all messages. Forgive me for not reading them all I’m just super busy right now.

my hubby said his friend tried ordering chicks and they told him they’re not accepting orders. However, I didn’t get details since hubbies don’t do details sometimes.
Nope, it ended on time

They probably want a raise in wages.
That's not it at all. A huge number of postal workers were quarantined with covid in the last year. The new postmaster has put a stop on overtime. Not enough workers, no overtime allowed, sorting machines dismantled.
The last shipment of chicks I sent November 2 took 3 days to arrive. I won't ship again till the kinks are worked out.

Right. But some hatcheries DO ship older birds. So it CAN be done if one wants to do it bad enough. And while this is NOT going to be a popular thing to say, this sounds like this is an EXTENSION. If there were eggs currently in the incubators, when this all started, but not hatched yet........ (You can probably imagine what I am thinking.)
I've shipped adult chickens. It is quite expensive. You can even ship adult turkeys. Any adult bird is mailable if it is under 25 pounds.
I once had a lost shipment of chicks and was put in contact with a distribution center and spoke to a guy on the dock. He couldn't find my birds but he said there were snakes, lizards, roaches, parrots, scorpions, bees, etc..

Back
Top Bottom