Utah!

Pics
I am new to the forum. I live in Provo.

I don't have any chickens yet, but I am wanting to get two or three hens. Nothing more than that.

I notice there are several people here in Provo, do you know about the legality?

I am in a R1.10 zone. I have read through the code, and my reading of the code seems to indicate that chickens are okay, but I called the city just to see and was told they weren't, but I am wondering if the person I talked to just didn't know what he was talking about.

So, to anyone in Provo, what has your experience been? Can I get away with two hens?

I'm from the north end of the county, but this is what I found for Provo:
http://www.provo.org/img//Title 14 Chapters 1-10.pdf

Chapter 14.10. R1 - One Family Residential.

(5) Permitted Accessory Uses. Accessory uses and structures
are permitted in the R1 zone provided they are incidental to, and do
not substantially alter the character of, the permitted principal use or
structure. Such permitted accessory uses and structures include, but
are not limited to, the following:

(f) Household pets, provided no more than two (2) dogs
and two (2) cats six (6) months of age or older shall be kept at
any residence or commercial establishment at any time. Nothing
herein shall be construed as authorizing the keeping of any
animal capable of inflicting harm or discomfort or endangering
the health and safety of any person or property.

And taking that with 8.02.010 which defines a pet as:
"A domesticated animal kept for pleasure rather than utility, including, but not limited to birds, cats, dogs, fish, rabbits, hamsters, mice, and OTHER DOMESTICATED ANIMALS KEPT FOR PLEASURE RATHER THAN UTILITY."

It defines domesticated animals as "dogs, FOWL, horses, cattle, swine. . . "

8.02.180 then says that only animals defined as pets can be kept within 50 feet of a residence.

http://www.provo.org/img//Title_8(1).pdf

So this makes me think (and hope) the person I talked to was just mistaken. . .
He said it doesn't matter if I consider it a pet, because it is still a farm animal. But the code says otherwise.

If you wanted to get a bunch of silkies or something, you could easily say they were more for pets than utility, since everyone seems to think they go broody at the drop of a hat and lay such small eggs, though I got some anyway. We all have to have pets that have no utility sometimes. lol

All these posts are really old...I am in SLC area...just recently - Aug. 08- got chickens, and we are getting two more this Feb. to add to our flock...would love to chit chat w/ local chicken folk!!

Hi, I'm here now, so the party can start!

I'm in Sandy. County island zoned A1. I can only have 50 chickens. (darn!) grin...

But, it's too funny, I'm just 3 blocks from million dollar houses. (oh, sorry, I guess they're $700k houses now...)

New to BYC.

Have read tons of books. Got hooked on once called "Chicken Tractor". So my 11 year old son and I made one. And, we bought 12 chicks from the chicken lady on 10600 South and 12th East area. They're 3 weeks 1 day old today.

We're "chicken sitting" for a neighbor this week, and I had my first fresh brown egg yesterday. Wow... nice.

Would love to hear more about a Salt Lake Valley chickenstock, and even help to organize one!

Marty

Hey Marty........Did you get your chicks from Christie at Sunnybrooke Farms? That's where I got mine. They are 3 weeks old. I'm in Sandy closer to Union Middle School. I wish I had room for 50 chickens, but I'll have to live with just 6.

Back
Top Bottom