Utah!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Naztrain, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Daloorashens

Daloorashens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Idaho
    [​IMG] Been busy here, school starting and still trying to get my online class done!!

Welcome to you 2 new people, I will slaughter your names=) Post pics of your girls, we love to see them!!

Lisa./... sorry for not saying earlier anything about your DH, but SOO glad to hear she is doing better!! Ok, now what to do about the chicken shuttle?? Sounds like Aunt Hattie is coming up about the same time, so if you're not sure when you'll be up, then I'll say...

Jill... still ok for you to pick up that Wheaten for me??

Cynthia, thanks for posting pics!! Pretty bird!! and those chicks are too cute!!

Gotta run, will have to post my latest chicken story later[​IMG]

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG] Lilwanis! It sounds like you have a great flock there. It's so exciting when they start laying.

I'm jealous of the chicken shuttle. Sounds like a lot of fun!

This morning I decided to clean out my big chicken coop. I had to take the sick lavender out so I could do a proper job of it. She seemed so happy out on the grass that I decided to let her spend the day outside. I knew she wouldn't be protected from any predators, but frankly, she's lost more than half her body weight, and I figured that she wasn't going to survive, so I may as well let her play in the grass for a bit. I came back out to check on her a couple hours later, and she seemed really happy. A couple hours later, she had passed away from natural causes. i feel bad because I think the kinder thing would've been to euthanize her a couple weeks ago, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I also feel a bit guilty because the emotion I'm feeling strongest is relief.

3. UtahChickenDad

UtahChickenDad Out Of The Brooder

Hi all
    Looking for a little advice on how to know if one of the girls is egg bound.

4. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Chickendad, if she seems sick or like she is constantly straining, that can be a sign. She won't want to move much, won't really eat or drink, and will stay in one spot for most of the time. Sometimes you can pick up the hen/pullet and gently massage around on her abdomen. You may find a lump there if she has an egg stuck. Try to get her to take some olive oil with a bit of food.

If she's eggbound, you could try the sauna treatment for her. I think someone on here might have used it before. You put the hen in her own box in a closed bathroom and turn on the shower with HOT water, but don't put her in. The steam and warmth will help her relax. You can also try applying some olive oil around her vent to help lube things up, but be very careful. It's easy to get something infected that way. Don't try to break the egg while it's inside of her.

Whew, sorry. I get carried away when I want to help.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Aww, Wendy, I'm sorry, but you are right, she is better now. So glad she was outside to do that. She just snuggled right down into that grass, and let go.

6. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]
    You crack me up!
    [​IMG]

7. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    welcome! [​IMG] and welcome to our thread...we are fun lovin folk.

You love your chickens, I can just tell. You know them and how they act. That is what most of us do here, watch our girls..and some have boys, I don't, [​IMG] and they can tell which one lays which egg. It's fun.

Lisa, which chicken are you talking about..your EE? She just started laying?

Ok all, I've got some pretty cute bantams! Look up Birchen Bantams. I have a few to sell...chicken shuttle is happening. 5 dollars each for a bantam.

sundance, are you coming soon for your babies?

Going to post pictures of my bantams soon.

8. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Here are my Birchen Bantams, and, one Polish, a buff laced.
    [​IMG]
    Fluffy butts

[​IMG]
    Furry feet. :))
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Furry, fuzzy feet.

Let Lisa and me know by tonight if you want one or two.

Hmm, Lisa, if I were to go by wing feathers on this baby, I would say girl..just not sure about Polish!

9. La Casa de Pollo

La Casa de Pollo Overrun With Chickens

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Awww Sphinx, so many mixed emotions reading that I can understandhow you feel! Think of how sweet that was that she got to be outside and enjoy the sunshine though, so much better than the coop. And you tried, really tried to help her. Darn it. It is always hard to lose one. I understand the relief too, that you did not have to directly be responsible for putting her down, that is a pretty normal reaction I think! I hate when I am faced with that, and probably should be a little quicker but nature is just hard to mess with , ya know? ugh! I am sad with ya, we watched these little lavs all grow up on here. And she was family too. :(

Cynthia I am selling my Australorp. nick named "peanut egger". My EE from you is a good layer, so far so good with that one :) Green but good! lol
    You selling anything else (chicks or hens)?

Chicken shuttle leaves Logan at 10 am tomorrow, if you need a last minute chicken, Cynthia has my number and can call me! I do not have data so i can't check the BYC after I leave.

Daloorashens I will leave the little WH AM with Cynthia then :)

10. La Casa de Pollo

La Casa de Pollo Overrun With Chickens

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Oh my gosh! I just saw those babies! has Sasha seen those? Or Hattie? They like those bantams. Those are soooo cute, I love the really distinct black and white and gray. If those were LF I would be in big big big trouble. Esp where I am headed straight to you tomorrow. [​IMG]

Hey wait! Doesn't Gamebirdsonly have those? Would love to see the adult pics. Dang cute chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by