Utah!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Naztrain, Jan 12, 2007.

1. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Yup, my Marans had clean legs. From what I understand of the breed, Marans all originally had feathered legs. The clean-legged variety didn't appear until the breed was brought to England, and breeders there worked on removing the trait. Why they'd want to do that, I don't know [​IMG]

UrbanCM, cute baby pictures! That's definitely not a Marans, but it sure looks cute. It does look identical to the Polish in Lisa's (La Casa) profile pic.

Lisa, I was getting all excited about maybe being able to take that extra window off your hands......then realized that the coop I have in mind wouldn't be big enough for it. My dad has offered to help me build a coop and run out at his place (did I tell you guys this already?) He asked me to look through some of the coop designs on here and find what I liked, then we would build. He's so funny, I think he's more excited about it than I am. He's already planning on getting electricity out to the coop so that we can have lights in there for warmth during the cold months, and he's got a spot selected in the yard to build. He'd better be careful, or the chicken math monster will get him.

2. Urbanchickenmom

Urbanchickenmom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2012

Well they messed up!! So I did get 3 favorollies those are the yellow ones with the feathered legs. I was suppose to get a rare Marans......and they sent me that cute baby polish.
    So I called and my pet chicken and next week they are shipping me two blue splash marans with my silkies!!! Can't wait!!!!!
    The polish baby is soooo cute and is a sweet heart but I'm worried that she won't do well in our winters. What do you guys think? I did get a really nice insulated coop.

3. La Casa de Pollo

La Casa de Pollo Overrun With Chickens

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah
    That is awesome of your Dad Red! Chicken bug hits first, then the secondary infection of chicken math hits. haha. That will be fun to see how it turns out!

4. La Casa de Pollo

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Urban, your polish will be fine, the cold is ok, they are a little more susceptible to disease I have heard but if they are not around it to start with I would not worry. There are quite a few people I have met with them and no heat lamp through winter, and they have been ok.

They sure are fun babies, and quirky personalities as they get bigger. Here is what my baby in the picture looks like now. Well a month ago or so, her poofy hair is much flufflier now,
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fun to watch :) They can be bearded or non bearded...I think your looks non bearded so far. Mine is non bearded as well :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Lisa, those polish polish are beautiful. My BCW sure is looking more like a splash, black crested polish! Pretty though! And, I'm disappointed in the buff coloring in my laced buff..not much color? Oh well, they are hatchery. I am still holding out on my big one that I hatched out. I don't think I'm seeing any saddle feathers yet, and, the wattles are still small. hmmm...hoping it's a girl.

Here are some pictures of the girl you want. I will hold her for you until someone can meet us or come by.
    [​IMG]
    Cute face, half and half
    [​IMG]
    You can see the lavender here
    [​IMG]
    Those legs and feet have green in them, I have to wonder who the mama was.
    [​IMG]
    Going to be a pretty bird
    [​IMG]
    You can see here the shade of grey on this side, it's darker on the other side.
    Those wings have some darker coloring in them..so splash she is!
    [​IMG]
    Had to post this one, I liked the look on her face. :)

6. La Casa de Pollo

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Awww sweet baby! Thanks for sharing the pics. She will make a fine addition to my flock....a naked neck with no naked. haha.

7. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Ok, these are for the Polish experts..still wondering about this little one..that is now 5 weeks and 2 days old. Close enough to six? Sasha, Lisa..what do you think..and oh yeah, auntie...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's one with the buff and BCW
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Look at all that splash! BCW!?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Buff
    [​IMG]
    One more of the one I hatched.
    Girl, boy..too soon..or easily sexed, but not by me!
    [​IMG]
    This one is already looking like a girl to me.

8. auntie hattie

auntie hattie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Sphinx how are your chickens doing? Not fun what you are dealing with.[​IMG]

Cynthia they look girly to me so far but we can see what the experts say. Hey do you know if there was a fizzle gene in the birchen Cochins? I'm seeing some curling in one of mine. Just wondering.

Cute chicks urbanchickenmom!

We have had rain all day long here! I really need to build a roof over my run. It just has lattice and a plastic tarp over it right now. the water collects and makes a mess. Birdman I wish your uncle lived here and I would have him do it. I have been feeling sorry for everyone building their coops. We did that all last summer and it was exhausting! I'm not looking forward to starting another project right now and my DH is for sure not wanting too!

Love everyones Polish pictures.[​IMG]

9. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    auntie, curly? Really? They didn't say they would be! I am still waiting to see some white pin feathers in the head..are you seeing any yet?

And, you think my big one looks girly? I dare not jump and down yet..waiting for more opinions..but I was thinking that this one is looking more girly. :D

10. auntie hattie

auntie hattie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Okay I was just wondering if that was a possibility. No white yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by