Utah!

Cynthia, going over and over those cuckoo pics. Just thinking boy...eeek don't hurt me. Do you think it is a bearded boy possibly? That is my final guess.

Is that the one that had several spikes up on top of the nose where the comb starts?

Last edited:
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on here, and I come with sad news. I'd finally built up my flock to nine chickens and a pet duck, all super nice and lovable friendly birds who would follow me around while I did chores.
Last night I forgot to lock the chicken coop door
hit.gif
and a pack of dogs (Dad says at least three) killed all but one of my birds! I've only found one of my hens, the black EE ShriLee is alive. She's still spooked but seems to be alright.
I'm really upset they killed my pet duck, he was my favorite.
hit.gif

We couldn't find all of the bodies so I'm hoping that a few survivors might wander home... maybe. :(
i am so sorry for your loss. i have a little RIR i have been trying to re-home. she is a little beat up and has a limp (meany BO to blame). you can have her if you like. she is very sweet, the lady i sold her to brought her back to me and had lots of excuses but i think she wasn't really prepared to mix a 6 month old hen in with her 4 month olds. Maybe if someone is heading your way they could bring her to you. she is the best lap hen i have ever had.

Yes Lisa, has 4 spikes. I know it could go either way, I am doing the same thing I did with that black Ameraucana from sonew. First, I was just sure it was a girl. Then that tail had me waaay worried. Now I'm the opposite with this polish. I thought boy first, now wondering if it's a girl. Well, if it works the same as my last back and forth guesses with the Am...well, it's a boy! I have a place for him in Richfield by the end of the month. I think I will know better by then. The spikes haven't gotten any bigger, or more red..barely pink...oh, there I go again. :/

Spinx, sorry you lost your bird. You knew it was going to happen, but it sure doesn't help any, it is even worse having to see them go slowly. Would you be interested in a free NN? I have lots! :)) I know how much you love them. :p

Time for a change in my avatar.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. :)

Joy, that is such sad news. I am so glad Shirlee made it, she is a tough one..she probably fought them off...but sad to hear about the rest. Did that buff ever start laying again? And was Lola a girl? I have been hoping you would get on here to find out what ended up happening with those two. LaVerne, Shirlee's sister, has been laying really good size eggs, i hope Shirlee's are getting big too.
Now what to do>? you need to get some more chickens! That will help you feel better (a little?)
Yes and yes, Buffy started laying eggs about a month after my last update and Lola, or Deli as I liked to call her, took a major turn towards looking like a hen.
As for getting more chickens, I think I'll wait until next year, with the exception of one or maybe two buddies for Shirlee. Once I do start my flock again I'm looking forwards to another collection of oddballs. I had so much fun with all my little 'extras' that I slowly picked up here and there in small bunches.

Quote: I'm open to the idea, as long as transportation be figured out. :)

Cynthia PERFECT avatar for you, you are the mom and those are your millions of chicks lol!

I will keep hoping you have all Polish girls. Has Elvis laid yet? I heard they are late late to start. Sheesh. This is pretty late, but I saw someone say 9 months the other day and I thought NO WAY! Mine keeps checking the nest out. Not really squatting but she is dang hard to catch.

Such a bummer Sphinx. You have now met your quota, no more sick or injured girls this season, you should be done, right? Ugh!

I think I need to put one last roost up in my coop. They are all crammed up there....but they all like two of the roosts, not the third for some reason. When they go to roost, they stagger up down up down (stand, sit, stand sit) because they are all squashed together, it is crazy! Don't know if one more choice will help but i could try. The third one is a teensy bit lower, I think that is it. Man they look funny at night. here is a webcam pic, (rough!) but you can kind of see what I am talking about:

(Sideways pic, tilt your head to the right...)
Weird old chickens. Spread out already! The barred one in this last pic has a chicken on her left and right sitting right on her feet, :p

Funny how my 8 original girls fought all the time and I thought they needed more space, yet I have 27 girls out here with not as much space per chicken after the remodel and they get along splendidly...

Last edited:
Cynthia, you are too funny!! I hate to say it, but if you see any spikes on that polish, I'll definitely say boy.

Lisa, I swear my chickens all cuddle up together at night. They use less than 2/3 of the roosting space, but they're all snuggled right in together. I'm thinking it's just what they like to do.

I got a better look at my bigger cow this morning, and I'll swear he has pinkeye.
he.gif
Awesome. No idea how to treat it, except that it involves a shot, and I don't know how much or how to inject a cow. I have a friend who raises cattle though, and I could call the guy who sold him to me.

Ok so I won't worry too much about them cramming themselves together lol ! I was hoping someone would say if theirs did this too!

Your cow has pink eye? I wonder if they can transfer it to humans? Hope you figure out what to do. The pharmacist we go to has told me that on kids you can put neosporin in the corner of their eye (not the kind with pain stuff added, and it has to be the kind that is like vaseline not white lotion) in a pinch if I do not have the eye drop prescription for it. He said it is basically the same thing as they put in newborn's eyes when they are born to make sure they don't get any infection from the birth. It really works. I wonder if neosporin would work on a cow's eye? It kills the bacteria...seems like it should work on a cow?

Last edited:
Cynthia, you are too funny!! I hate to say it, but if you see any spikes on that polish, I'll definitely say boy.

Lisa, I swear my chickens all cuddle up together at night. They use less than 2/3 of the roosting space, but they're all snuggled right in together. I'm thinking it's just what they like to do.

I got a better look at my bigger cow this morning, and I'll swear he has pinkeye.
he.gif
Awesome. No idea how to treat it, except that it involves a shot, and I don't know how much or how to inject a cow. I have a friend who raises cattle though, and I could call the guy who sold him to me.

Colloidal Silver for the pink eye! Along with an anti-biotic..will kick butt! Me and my suggestions for illness'. Hope ya don't mind, just sayin.
tongue.png

Well, the hawk has found my house! Was outside getting babies out of the nursery, while on the phone, walked out of the coop area, and all of a sudden, there's that Coope's hawk, swept about 7 ft. overhead. I think I came out of the coop run just in time..my girls had already been let out, but they are back in now. I have one pullet out there that stays pretty much to itself during the day, and loves being smack dab in the middle of the yard when it's cool enough. That little one would have been had if I hadn't been out there. Poor girls aren't going to be happy about being penned up. Have been reading about those Cooper's..they aren't too afraid of us being out there, will swoop a bird away right in front of you if it's small enough. Bigger ones, they will go after, and will eat it right there in your yard. Oh yaay..lucky us. This bird just won't go away..it knows there is food around. I just wish it would start for the southern part of the state like it should be doing about now.

I was out in the garden picking tomatoes today and look what I found! A clutch of TEN eggs! I think they must be from the black sex link, she usually finds her way out of the run every day (it's not fully enclosed, it's open on top). We usually get 5 eggs a day from what i was assuming 5 layers, but apparently we have 6 she's just laying in the garden instead of the boxes like all the other good little chickens! I guess now we're just waiting on our exchequer and the second EE to start laying. So now I get to start checking the garden for eggs too. Is there any way to train her to lay in the nesting boxes?

y2ysamy3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom