Utah!

Cute cute cute! She has a great head full of feathers!
love.gif

Ok Michelle, remember our turkey starter saga? I realized today, I need food for these quail. Oh ya! Duh! So i go to get the turkey starter...not anywhere, asked my son, he says "I took it out of the car at chickenstock and set it by that lady". HAHAHA! So it must have gone sitting there, somewhere, in a gallon size jug. LOL! I did not bring it back.... I asked where, he says across from where we were standing. On the other side. Where the exhibition birds were.
he.gif

So I went to IFA to get Turkey starter. They only sell 50 pound bags.
he.gif

Then I bring it home open it up, and it is pellets! I look at the tag, it is turkey grower 22 percent. Not the 27 percent starter I thought I was buying. Grrr.
he.gif

So I ground some up and have given it to them, but what I better ask is will that be good enough or do I need to get some of the 27percent stuff? if so, another 50 pound bag. Lol. I just cannot get the "other poultry" category right lol !
Grinding up the pellets should be fine........................too funny about that turkey starter! LOL

I am interested. Need to speak with DH and will get back to you ASAP.

And the answer is no. We don't have a pen or quarantine space built yet. I have bresse chicks coming and eggs. I will mention that I don't have pasture space either. I was going to do a fodder like clover diet, to supplement my lack of space for them. Not was, am. Just have a lot longer to prepare.

Since everyone is trying to move chicks around this weekend. I will be driving from Northern Utah County to Ogden on Saturday for my niece's 1st birthday party. It's at 3pm, so I'm sure we will be heading up there around noon, not sure when we will head back since we don't get up there a lot.

I am also taking the kids to Thomas the Train on Sunday, So I will be driving out to Heber on Sunday afternoon. If anyone needs a ride anywhere let me know.

Last edited:
Since everyone is trying to move chicks around this weekend. I will be driving from Northern Utah County to Ogden on Saturday for my niece's 1st birthday party. It's at 3pm, so I'm sure we will be heading up there around noon, not sure when we will head back since we don't get up there a lot.

I am also taking the kids to Thomas the Train on Sunday, So I will be driving out to Heber on Sunday afternoon. If anyone needs a ride anywhere let me know.

If you are going north from this area..I have, that mystery chick that I now know is a Buttercup..her comb in just starting to show more like they are. She is very sweet, and I'm pretty sure she is a she. I have read different things about them, but more positive than negative. Can be flighty, I clip my babies wings anyway so they won't fly over to the neighbors yard.
I also have a tiny Japanese Bantam, tiny. Pretty sure it will turn out to look like my Birchen Japanese. :)

If you are going north from this area..I have, that mystery chick that I now know is a Buttercup..her comb in just starting to show more like they are. She is very sweet, and I'm pretty sure she is a she. I have read different things about them, but more positive than negative. Can be flighty, I clip my babies wings anyway so they won't fly over to the neighbors yard.
I also have a tiny Japanese Bantam, tiny. Pretty sure it will turn out to look like my Birchen Japanese. :)
Where are you located at? I'm coming from Lehi area to South Ogden . Do they need to come this way? Or you asking me if I want them? How old is your Japanese Bantam? I have one little mystery bantam that is 8 weeks, and I feel bad that she is the only one, and have thought about getting her a small buddy. I do have 4 silkies chicks at 3 weeks right now, but I'm sure they will be bigger then her, they already look bigger then what she was at that age.

Okay, I got my Oxide. I'm extremely nervous to use it, everything has for mix up of 30 plus gallons, which of course I'm not going to be able to do, and there are tons of warning labels on it. So now it is safe to use right? I got the Oxine Sanitizer Disinfectant, active ingredient is Chlorine Dioxide 2%, Other ingredients 98%. So this is the UNACTIVED Right? I got it to spray out the coop/run and then to put in the water buckets, but now can they drink this stuff? And how much do I mix it for say 1 gallon for spraying to clean, and then 1 gallon for water.

Okay, I got my Oxide.  I'm extremely nervous to use it, everything has for mix up of 30 plus gallons, which of course I'm not going to be able to do, and there are tons of warning labels on it.  So now it is safe to use right?  I got the Oxine Sanitizer Disinfectant, active ingredient is Chlorine Dioxide 2%, Other ingredients 98%. So this is the UNACTIVED Right?  I got it to spray out the coop/run and then to put in the water buckets, but now can they drink this stuff?  And how much do I mix it for say 1 gallon for spraying to clean, and then 1 gallon for water.

1/8 t per gallon for drinking is what I read, have been doing that for a month or so in the chicks waterers and everybody is doing great. A lot less mold and slime buildup in the waterers when I wash and change them out for sure, I like it. I have been putting 1 t in my 7 gallon waterer, and that has worked fine. Have not used it for the coop and run yet, can't remember how much it is for cleaning so I will be looking for this answer too!

Last edited:
1/8 t per gallon for drinking is what I read, have been doing that for a month or so in the chicks waterers and everybody is doing great. A lot less mold and slime buildup in the waterers when I wash and change them out for sure, I like it. I have been putting 1 t in my 7 gallon waterer, and that has worked fine. Have not used it for the coop and run yet, can't remember how much it is for cleaning so I will be looking for this answer too!

I put apple cider vinegar in my waterers, 2 tbs per 5 gal bucket. Keeps slime out of water and is good for the chickens.

I put apple cider vinegar in my waterers,  2 tbs per 5 gal bucket.  Keeps slime out of water and is good for the chickens. 

Me too-- have been doing that for a year or so, then I started adding oxine with it.......I usually do 1T oer gallon of the ACV with the mother in it, and I have my own batch I keep going in the garage...Do you think 1T/gallon is too much? Is it ok to do both together? Hope I am not mad-scientist-ing my chickens lol.

Diana--The black frizzle I kept from you is looking like a girl! Woot!

You feeling ok? I hope so! :hugs

Cynthia--the black crested white Polish I got from you last summer just laid her first egg :) she will be nine months old in three days. Yay! It is a nice tinted egg. Such a pretty girl.
Out of my three polish that have made it to POL, they started at 8 mos, 12 mos, and 9 mos. A little slow to start, but they lay pretty steady once they start :)

Back
Top Bottom