Utah!

I am leaving Friday afternoon for Sanpete county, so I can take Joybells chicken to her on my way down. I can't remember who has it though. My week is absolutely crazy leading up to me going out of town, so I am not sure I can pick it up from anywhere. Got a new listing that's been getting tons of showings, and a buyer who is in contract negotiations right now, along with all of the end of school year stuff.

Rykel, I'm sorry that your lead at work is being so inflexible. That really bites.

Breeding program without roosters is very difficult- if you move the hens the move can put them off laying.

Corvidae, I'm sorry about your Isbars being attacked. I'd be so upset.

Pancake, sorry your hatch was so bad.

6kidsFarm, I have some FBCM and ameraucana eggs, but the catch is they could be mixed. I keep my FBCM and polish roosters in with everyone, so who knows who is the father.

Sundance, I'm sorry that you couldn't enjoy the movie. How exciting that your little serama went broody!

Lisa, yay for all the veining!!

Cynthia, congrats on YOUR broody. She is very pretty. My broody doesn't peck at me either, just kind of growls.

pawtraitart, that polish is gorgeous!

So I'm trying not to fret. My legbar eggs are due tomorrow. I set them on a Wednesday afternoon. Her eggs have tended to hatch a day or two early, but as of 3:45 today, no pips. I candled them on Thursday or Friday, and all 7 were alive, though one of them had a weird bubble in it. I'm hoping I show up to the school tomorrow and have 2 babies out and 5 more pipped. Cross your fingers for me!

Helloooooooooooo there!
Cute cute cute! She has a great head full of feathers! :love Ok Michelle, remember our turkey starter saga? I realized today, I need food for these quail. Oh ya! Duh! So i go to get the turkey starter...not anywhere, asked my son, he says "I took it out of the car at chickenstock and set it by that lady". HAHAHA! So it must have gone sitting there, somewhere, in a gallon size jug. LOL! I did not bring it back.... I asked where, he says across from where we were standing. On the other side. Where the exhibition birds were. :he So I went to IFA to get Turkey starter. They only sell 50 pound bags. :he Then I bring it home open it up, and it is pellets! I look at the tag, it is turkey grower 22 percent. Not the 27 percent starter I thought I was buying. Grrr. :he So I ground some up and have given it to them, but what I better ask is will that be good enough or do I need to get some of the 27percent stuff? if so, another 50 pound bag. Lol. I just cannot get the "other poultry" category right lol !

CYnthia, love your girl too, so cute being all mama-like!

Forgot to mention, my Houdan boy started crowing tonight. At sundown hehe, our neighbors,( the ones I went to lunch with and they talked about how glad I was not one of those inconsiderate people that has roosters) were dining outside on their patio with friends. They were laughing and having fun, then he crowed while I was out finishing up the chores. The laughter stopped. It got real quiet over there...I just kind of slinked back up to the house and slipped inside. I feel like such a bad neighbor I do not know if I can do it lol ! It will be interesting to see what they say, we are having a big graduation party over here next week outdoors and they will be over here.....Hmmmm..... :rolleyes:

Please oh please little rooster be good in the morning!

Sphinx crossing fingers for you! Hard!

And...Donna I did see your post and realized I had not mentioned yet today how bad I feel for you, that is the worst thing ever. So many too. So sad!

Last edited:
Quote: I would keep the same feed. If you are worried add something to bring up the protein. Ground cat /dog food. Duckweed will bring it up, i think its about 35 % and its free. Or you could go out at night and catch worms, 50% protein. As soon as i let my chickens out at 6:00 am they run right by the food and wheat to find a wet spot of ground to look for night crawlers that are still out. some hens have got really good at finding them they have eaten a half dozen before i head back to my car to head for work.

Thanks for the ideas Gary! Ground up eggs maybe? Got plenty of those around lol :)

Anybody wanting to raise jumbo coturnix quail? 17 hatched so far....Ummm did not expect that. I figured I would be happy with 5. Hardy little things. So I heard they mature and start laying at 8 weeks old...that is not very long at all! And then some lay an egg a day. So for anybody on here that cannot have roosters and wanting to have the fertile eggs that can be hatched and what not it is a fun hobby in addition to chickens. The eggs are cute, I bet 4 or 5 equal a large chicken egg...need to weigh one and see. This is all what I have heard, correct me if I am wrong here, just starting with this so I have no experience at all. I sure like hatching the eggs, that was fun! Still 2 lone eggs in the bator. One is pipped, the other looks like a dud.

Does anybody know how quail eggs taste? I know they serve them in fancy restaurants, I have never ever been lucky enough to try one. What is the difference in flavor and can you bake with them? I want to learn all this good stuff :) Do I need to keep one boy for every girl? I thought someone had said they mate for life, is that monogomous or do the boys have a few girls? I think I would want to keep 4-5 girls tops, so how many boys would that require to keep the peace?

Sorry for all the questions on the chicken thread. But I trust my local peeps to give me the best info so I wanted to ask here. ;)

Last edited:
Holy cow Michelle, that Polish is awsome!!!

I didn't mention anything about Diana, either... so glad you are feeling better, but take care of yourself, don't overdue it!!!

Pics of the Bresse:

Pullet:

Roo:

Don't get discouraged!!! Hatching is definitely an emotional roller coaster sometimes, especially with shipped eggs, that can be downright depressing! It seems I remember a certain someone saying they were done with hatching last fall?? Lol, that's funny... I love those light brahmas, too, their colors are so striking! Oh, poor little thing! I have several right now, but I'm sure I'm too far away to be able to help you much... Wow, I knew they were small, I didn't know they were THAT small!! and CUTE!! Okay... one more thing I am going to sell which I am posting here and on the ID thread first, then they will go on craigslist and KSL... I have a pair of American White Bresse, they are a breeding pair, they are not related. They are both about 5 months old, the roo just started crowing and the pullet is POL, comb is getting pinker all the time. If you have not heard of them, they are a French meat bird, apparently kind of a delicacy. I would love to work with them, but I do not have the space to free-range them to grow them out and then finish them on corn like the French do to make them tasty, tasty lol... Anyone on BYC I will sell the pair for $40, on KSL I will ask $50. PM me if you are interested. I will post pics tonite when I can get to my home computer...
Holy cow Michelle, that Polish is awsome!!! I didn't mention anything about Diana, either... so glad you are feeling better, but take care of yourself, don't overdue it!!! Pics of the Bresse: Pullet: Roo:
I am interested. Need to speak with DH and will get back to you ASAP.

I am leaving Friday afternoon for Sanpete county, so I can take Joybells chicken to her on my way down. I can't remember who has it though. My week is absolutely crazy leading up to me going out of town, so I am not sure I can pick it up from anywhere. Got a new listing that's been getting tons of showings, and a buyer who is in contract negotiations right now, along with all of the end of school year stuff.

I've got three SFH chicks coming from Daloorashens. We just need a way to get them to you and it'd work perfectly.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom