Utah!

Well if I had to go off size, then my huge monster chick I got from Red is for sure a Rooster. But I really think that this giant is a girl, because the others started turning red already. And this chick was one of the last to hatch, and is double, I mean double the size of the other LF chicks, and easily looks like its 3 months old, not 2 months old. Its a giant, I LOVE it, I hope its like a huge 10 lb chicken full grown. But it came for the largest egg ever, swear it was part duck egg, it was that huge! So if she goes off that, then that is crazy.

And I have another pip.....

As for Iluvmysilkies--I would NOT get another one from her, no matter how tempted you are, because you don't want to bring home a sick chick and get the rest of your flock sick. And even if you think your girls are big and strong, they can still get sick from a sick chicken. Even if you have them separated you can transfer it on your clothes, shoes, etc. I wouldn't since you have gotten sick chicks from her, I wouldn't again. If you really want one, and can't find one on here, you can alway order one from Lindon Nursery. They will do a special order for you, but I would get a few, because even Hatcheries don't sex Silkies. But the lady that works back with the chicks there is very knowledgeable, and helped me tons last year. And she keeps them very, very clean. I thought about special ordering some Lavender Orps this spring from them, but decided maybe next year.

Linden Nursery has chicks? I thought only IFA and CAL Ranch were the only businesses that carried them. Too bad I am at capacity now! :)

Linden Nursery has chicks? I thought only IFA and CAL Ranch were the only businesses that carried them. Too bad I am at capacity now! :)

Yes, Lindon Nursery carries chicks, and you can even special order just a few from them. They will put in your order when they order. And I really like the older lady who cares for them, she is there every day, and she's awesome! Very, very helpful.

I will let you know, I have 2 that are pipped right now, not sure if they are brown or white, the lady said she had both, she just knew her only white eggs where Leghorns. Duh...

I guess I must just have a different point of view. I have only seen Chase Hatchery's chicks one time but to be honest it didn't look a whole lot different than how the chicks are housed at IFA or Cal Ranch. I realize I come from a commercial ranching and farming background which at times can create a very different viewpoint than hobbyists. When I read statements that she took two dead chicks and through them in the garbage and that is supposed to be a negative. To be honest I take my occasional dead bird and throw it in the back pasture. As for sexing I thought wing feather sexing was one of the viable options, I know very little about that so I may be wrong. I read that she has some sick chicks, anyone been to IFA or Cal recently. As for that matter my last hatch had a very weak chick that eventually died. The City might shut her down, I think that would be a tragedy for all of these urbanites that would like just a few chicks. I can order in 25 chicks at a time and handle it no problem but all those individuals that live in the more urban areas where are they to get just a few chicks. Sometimes I think we think our farm animals are people, I don't. If they have food, clean water, shelter, are not over crowded, etc. then they are just fine. I have a commercial egg farm down the street from me, some people think that is the most inhumane thing there is, I don't. I know that happy hens lay eggs. I believe that farm does everything in their power to make those hens happy. I am also glad for all the jobs it creates....that way they can come in my store and buy icecream.

What I see is a lady trying to make some money to support her family.

Last edited:
I don't get how she can accurately do that...the weight of the chicks is determined by the size of the egg it hatched from, so all her leghorn chicks will supposedly be roosters lol The size of the chick at hatch does not seem to determine gender at all from what I have seen.... strange.....I believe I am staying away from this place now. I am grateful that people on here were kind enough to post their reviews. Thank you.
smile.png
I agree, and with everything I saw and after loosing half my babies from her, i just dont feel comfortable getting any from her anymore and I will always tell people my experience and advise them to stay away. I am convinced my chicks and their parent stock were not cared for properly and thats the only reason I kept loosing them. I am just greatful that my remaining babies are doing great and getting bigger now. I've been adding vitamins to their water everyday and they are looking fabulous :)

Well if I had to go off size, then my huge monster chick I got from Red is for sure a Rooster. But I really think that this giant is a girl, because the others started turning red already. And this chick was one of the last to hatch, and is double, I mean double the size of the other LF chicks, and easily looks like its 3 months old, not 2 months old. Its a giant, I LOVE it, I hope its like a huge 10 lb chicken full grown. But it came for the largest egg ever, swear it was part duck egg, it was that huge! So if she goes off that, then that is crazy.

And I have another pip.....

As for Iluvmysilkies--I would NOT get another one from her, no matter how tempted you are, because you don't want to bring home a sick chick and get the rest of your flock sick. And even if you think your girls are big and strong, they can still get sick from a sick chicken. Even if you have them separated you can transfer it on your clothes, shoes, etc. I wouldn't since you have gotten sick chicks from her, I wouldn't again. If you really want one, and can't find one on here, you can alway order one from Lindon Nursery. They will do a special order for you, but I would get a few, because even Hatcheries don't sex Silkies. But the lady that works back with the chicks there is very knowledgeable, and helped me tons last year. And she keeps them very, very clean. I thought about special ordering some Lavender Orps this spring from them, but decided maybe next year.
Oh I wont go back.. Its tempting because hers are so fluffy but I wont go back there.
I LOVE the lindon nursery! I go in there probably once a week lol. I live just right around the corner from there lol. I looked there today to see if they had silkies, because she told me they should be getting some in wed, or thurs this week but they didnt have them in yet so I will check back tomorrow or sat. I looked at the american fork ifa and they have a brand new batch in. I looked thoroughly over them, and most are buffs and some are bearded and look great but the only black one I saw in there looked just slightly bearded but did not have much of a fluff on its head. I almost took it home anyway but I dont wanna drive hubby crazy with new chicks all the time so I wanna make sure its the quality I am wanting. I'll look at the lindon nursey again when they bring some in and see if they have any bearded ones. Its kinda hit and miss with those but maybe :) Otherwise if anyone has one or know where I could get one, let me know :)

Last edited:
I just candled my silkie eggs. I have a lot that are doing well. This is how it usually is, then, lock down happens. Not quite sure yet, but I do believe it has something to do with the humidity. I am going to try to use less humidity this time, not the reg. 62..Going to try and keep it around the 57 to 60. I know that doesn't sound like a big difference, but from what I've been reading, it can be, especially on the smaller eggs. Crossing fingers. I have more of my friends eggs in there that has those fabulous full muff's and beards..like Dixie and Cotton, those came from her. The paints didn't fare well, only a couple are viable, but there are several BBS and one BLK, the only black she sent, doing well.
And Holy Moly. the other person that sent eggs, are really viable. Hope I get some nice silkies this time.

I guess I must just have a different point of view. I have only seen Chase Hatchery's chicks one time but to be honest it didn't look a whole lot different than how the chicks are housed at IFA or Cal Ranch. I realize I come from a commercial ranching and farming background which at times can create a very different viewpoint than hobbyists. When I read statements that she took two dead chicks and through them in the garbage and that is supposed to be a negative. To be honest I take my occasional dead bird and throw it in the back pasture. As for sexing I thought wing feather sexing was one of the viable options, I know very little about that so I may be wrong. I read that she has some sick chicks, anyone been to IFA or Cal recently. As for that matter my last hatch had a very weak chick that eventually died. The City might shut her down, I think that would be a tragedy for all of these urbanites that would like just a few chicks. I can order in 25 chicks at a time and handle it no problem but all those individuals that live in the more urban areas where are they to get just a few chicks. Sometimes I think we think are farm animals are people, I don't. If they have food, clean water, shelter, are not over crowded, etc. then they are just fine. I have a commercial egg farm down the street from me, some people think that is the most inhumane thing there is, I don't. I know that happy hens lay eggs. I believe that farm does everything in their power to make those hens happy. I am also glad for all the jobs it creates....that way they can come in my store and buy icecream.

What I see is a lady trying to make some money to support her family.
I get what your saying and I have alot of this point of view to in other aspects and other livestock. I think the difference is that alot of the chicken hobbyists here join because they love there birds like their babies, the same way they love their other pets even if its a lil too much and thats ok. The fact that chickens give us their eggs is wonderful but it isent why he love them. They are beautiful and we love their personalities and love to cuddle them :). I do agree that you must not humanize them too much though, and remember they are still chickens and they are birds that love the outdoors and want to be treated as chickens. The issue I have with chase hatchery is that it seems like her profiting off the birds comes before their well being and thats what I have a problem with. She has no problem at all trying to sell you a sick bird and will try to get whatever she can even if they are noticably on their last leg and are dying, she will still deny it and say its fine. I feel like if the chicks were being cared for properly then why would so many be dying? both in her care, and the ones that are bought and taken home? I think its normal to lose one or two in large batches but to continue watching them go downhill one after the other and dying from causes that couldve been prevented is just sad. I think its sad that she'd dig out dead babies from her boxes everyday like its fine and toss them to the bucket of trash in front of her customers like its nothing. And the fact that she takes in so many questionable birds from anyone, and who knows what they carry and what she uses them for. I get that its a way to make money for her family and I support that to but in the end I think the birds well being should be the priority and I just felt that all she cared about what making profit off of every baby no matter their condition and showed no remorse at all when I mentioned more of mine had died. Seems like a good breeder would be concerned and wonder if her birds were the cause and might be sick and maybe even offer to replace one or two, since she made alot of money off me, just to have half the babies die the first week :( I would be more understanding if it were just the one tiny baby and it was just weak but when I see baby after baby going downhill and dying all within a day or two apart the first week I got them, it is very disapointing and I do feel it was because of where I got them. I bonded with these lil babies while trying so hard to keep them alive, and it was emotional every time another would just die. And since she didnt seem care, thats when I started feeling the need to let other people know what they could possibly be getting if they buy there. I do understand what your saying though, im just explaining kinda why I feel this way about this hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom