Utah!

Happy day, my Easter egger has started laying again. You can tell which hen has been pulling more than her fair share of the weight ;)

rj you might need to get into turkey hunting. is it legal to hunt in your area anyway do you know? yeah i am sure those birds could eat a ton of food and could be very costly to have around. tho i gotta say i would love to have some around where i am at tho maybe i would regret that lol

RJ, a jake is a young bird. A jake is to a cockerel as a tom is to a rooster :) (Although sometimes I refer to toms as jakes around my husband, just because his name is Tom and that kind of feels weird to talk about, haha)

Yes, their wings hurt if you get hit by them. Please be careful! When my bronze hen would flip out and take flight, I learned to shut my eyes and cover my head and face. She couldn't have weighed more than five or six pounds! And the wild ones are excellent flyers, as you seem to have discovered. You may need to install some kind of screen door to keep them out of your coop. Turkeys are greedy and will keep coming back once they find food somewhere. Sorry :(

I love the piping noises of mine, but I'm very grateful that they graze and forage so much in the warmer months. They can eat a lot of food. Oh, and turkey eggs are divine :)

rj you might need to get into turkey hunting. is it legal to hunt in your area anyway do you know? yeah i am sure those birds could eat a ton of food and could be very costly to have around. tho i gotta say i would love to have some around where i am at tho maybe i would regret that lol

My understanding is that he can't hunt them within city limits, but people might be tired enough of them to have the city change that policy.
RJ, a jake is a young bird. A jake is to a cockerel as a tom is to a rooster
smile.png
(Although sometimes I refer to toms as jakes around my husband, just because his name is Tom and that kind of feels weird to talk about, haha)

Yes, their wings hurt if you get hit by them. Please be careful! When my bronze hen would flip out and take flight, I learned to shut my eyes and cover my head and face. She couldn't have weighed more than five or six pounds! And the wild ones are excellent flyers, as you seem to have discovered. You may need to install some kind of screen door to keep them out of your coop. Turkeys are greedy and will keep coming back once they find food somewhere. Sorry
sad.png

I love the piping noises of mine, but I'm very grateful that they graze and forage so much in the warmer months. They can eat a lot of food. Oh, and turkey eggs are divine
smile.png
Well explained. The tom I got last fall probably weighed close to 12-15 pounds. I couldn't imagine getting hit by one of his big wings. And some of the toms can develop some really mean spurs that could cause a lot of damage if they felt trapped. Be careful.

My understanding is that he can't hunt them within city limits, but people might be tired enough of them to have the city change that policy.
Well explained. The tom I got last fall probably weighed close to 12-15 pounds. I couldn't imagine getting hit by one of his big wings. And some of the toms can develop some really mean spurs that could cause a lot of damage if they felt trapped. Be careful.  
i see. i did not realize he was in the city. yeah that would change things

Where I live the town is three blocks wide and about eight blocks long, I am 660 feet from the city limits to the west and 1320 feet to the east. We are a town but not a very big one. I have about four acres on which I can free range the flocks in better weather. Thank you Red for the correct usage of the terms for boy turkeys, I knew you would know such things, and now a bunch of other folks do too.

And it is not like I left the door open and went into the house, I was working in that coop, just went to get a bucket of pellets… nonetheless I've to improve my defenses against the relentless intruder. The DW posted the banty pickled egg photograph on her social thing last evening, now we are over run with folks wanting banty eggs.
smile.png
i am getting a dozen or better a day so a place for them to go is good by me. I've not tried pickled pigs feet Cyn, I'll have to trust you that they are good.
wink.png

The girls are" Rolling in the Deep" dirt of the bathhouse today, sunshine and dry dusty dirt make for happy chickens. Saw my first live chicks of the season this a.m. I am just stunned that I did not bring them all home. All of them. They are just so darn cute.
jumpy.gif
I am left to wonder… how many would be enough, if you could put a number on it. My poor fifty is just not enough, I know it.
smile.png

Best to all and your projects & birds,

RJ

Have some of Bubba's babies hatching. Yaay. First one out is one of the leghorn's Lisa. And guess how it looks? White, with black spots. Only, not sure yet as it is still wet, but looks to have some buff on the back legs..will see. Man, they are big babies compared to the others, but then again, those eggs are bigger than the others!

Back
Top Bottom