Utah!

Do you mean caliber or bulletin brand or bullet size?

I'm partial to federal ammunition. I shoot a 308, although I'm debating getting a 270. For elk I like at least 150 grains, normally 180. Deer it's at least 135 grains. I'm kind of nerdy about hunting though.
i meant both actually. thanks. i ask because well its a subject i enjoy and i like to hear other peoples opinions on it :) i am a 30 30 fan personally but of course you are a lot more limited on range with them. i love a good lever gun

i meant both actually. thanks. i ask because well its a subject i enjoy and i like to hear other peoples opinions on it :) i am a 30 30 fan personally but of course you are a lot more limited on range with them. i love a good lever gun

I agree. 30 30 are fun to shoot. I've got a few and enjoy them.

good luck with the boat! we bought one once, ended up getting ripped off. and then when we got in the middle of strawberry the motor went out and we only had a little 30lb thrust trolling motor and of course a storm hit with white caps so here we were in a little aluminum boat. it took 6 hours to get in. we were not sure we would make it.

so those of you that hunt big game what is your favorite round or rounds?
So scary! I'm glad you lived to tell the tale. Water is such an unforgiving force. I hope the people that ripped you off got it back 10 fold in Karma. At least you had a trolling motor back-up instead of just Oars.

We hunt deer with 270's DH had a Classic old Winchester 270 and we did not want to fuss with different rounds up on the hill so when we went shopping for a rifle for me, we chose a
Ruger American 270.
I have never been happier with a rifle. It weighs almost nothing, so I can carry it all day with no fatigue, It has the recoil of a 22 (very minimal) It shoots any ammunition I feed it and it dead nuts on accurate.
Sweetie cannot shoot Federal, it just does not feed right and messes with the accuracy, IDK why. We are further experimenting with what works best for his rifle this year so Ammo brand may change.
I am also very curious what brand, caliber, and weights people are shooting successfully ;-)

I have a 308 for elk, but I have yet to shoot anything with it. My uncles and grandpa all tried to talk me into the 30-30 when I was looking at getting a rifle of my own, but I chose a 243 for deer and small game and absolutely love it. It's just a little H&R single shot but it's perfect for me. I usually get Federal Reserve for ammo, but I prefer Winchester. It depends on my pocket money :/ DH has a 308 and 30-06 that he switches between for big game. He also just got a Marlin 45-70 that I think he wants to try. It's a pretty cool firearm.

Isadora, the compound bows are great fun for hunting, but my heart will always belong to the recurves. I learned on a longbow and then my grandpa gave me a recurve, so I'm used to shooting instinct sight. Using actual sights messes with me a little. I have a Cheyenne 55 lb recurve that I much prefer for shooting, though I have taken both my deer with compounds. I would like to get one with the recurve :D

my 30 30 is a marlin, it has both a scope and iron sights that i like in case the scope somehow failed. i like the 30 30 because its cheap, you can find the ammo no problem and it can actually take any game in north america if you want, of course there are better calipers for moose and such but the 30 30 will still get it done. the down side is the range. i like winchester in 150 but i can always go bigger if needed like a 170. i also like remington but it does cost more. hornady has those bullets with the polymer tips that they say extend the range but i have not tried them. i have yet to take an animal with this rifle tho. i just love the round and the rifle. red those 45 70s are super nice

DH and I spent all weekend working on the coop. We finished it to the point the teenagers moved in! There was much running about and flapping of wings.

I love Dutch doors so my husband was sweet enough to make me one. My daughter picked the color. It has six windows that are hardware clothed in and can tip out (they actually tip in towards the inside of the coop, I set the chain to a 2 inch opening). My thought process was that the inward/upward tilt would funnel air in and up towards the under eaves venting for some good circulation that wont be as drafty. We'll see.

This is my 12 year old son with Olive Egger Anne and Black Orp Diana. All the girls are named after literary characters, these were two of my picks from one of my all time favorites "Anne of Green Gables."

This is my 10 yo daughter (the catalyst for the chickens) with Rhodebar Eilonwy (The Black Cauldron) and Cream Crested Legbar Galadriel (My son picked both these names, he loves "Lord of the Rings" The Chronicles of Prydain" and "The Hobbit") Our other chickens are Lavender Orp Willow, Black Orp Holly, (both from the Warriors series, ironically enough my daughter named her chickens after cats), Black Orp Mrs. Bennett (she complains a lot, so was named after the Bennett mother from Pride and Prejudice) Cream Crested Legbar Eowyn, and Olive Egger Luna.

We also kept four of the hatchlings from my classroom hatch to grow out, we decided to give them all boy names in hopes for a reverse psychology effect. The cheeky Olive Egger you see there is Hagrid, his half siblings are Black Copper Marans Snape and Samwise and Buff Orp/Marans mix Lockheart.

I need Ibuprofen and a cookie.

Carrie

Good job, Carrie! Love the pictures. Your kids are so cute with the little poofballs all over them, hehe
smile.png
Thanks! They love their chickens.

Back
Top Bottom