Utah!

Blast from the past here! I feel bad that I've been MIA for a while. Too much life coming at me, I guess.

For the newbies, I live in Davis county. I used to have acreage and lots of chickens, now I'm in surburbia and have 7 chickens (the legal limit). I have 2 FBCM (though they're both very very geriatric), an olive egger (also geriatric), two easter eggers, three silkies, a super blue egg layer, a buff orpington, blue laced red wyandotte, a black silkie showgirl, and a barnvelder.

The beautiful black frizzle I hatched in April started crowing yesterday (oh, did I not count him? silly me!
IMG_8413.jpg
IMG_8414.jpg
). I can't keep roosters. Anyone want him? One of the partridge silkies is looking very suspiciously boyish to me too.

Hi. :frow. Long time no see. I don't have chickens anymore as of this year. So much going on with me as guardian to a few family members. My sweet husband for one. He's been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Over a year and a half ago, but, knew before the actual diagnosis. My little sis that is mentally impaired has lost all kidney function. Been going through a lot this past year getting her ready for Dialysis. She's finally going on that. Doing well! My son with Spina Bifida is doing well for now, knock on wood. So, no time for chickens. I have 2 dogs.. gotta have my dogs. My husband loves them too. Well, good luck on placing your beautiful boy. I sure miss hatching too. Loved it all. I just share my photos of the past now. Hope your family is doing well...you too..I think I recall you were having some health problems. Take care. I miss the fun times we had on this thread. I wonder how Diana is doing.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a lot to deal with; I'm so sorry Cynthia. I think Alzheimer's is the scariest thing out there.

I primarily only hatch chickens for the local schools, or if someone asks me to. I still have a pretty magic touch with that. I love hatching for others because I get to see all of the magic of it, then give the chicks back after a couple days. My offer to hatch for anyone still stands. <3

I still talk to Diana (she gave me her canary a few months ago!). Her health is doing ok. Her husband's is not as much. They have an emotional support horse that has a lot of amazing adventures that I love to follow. (Casper the Friendly Horse on facebook).

As for me, I discovered around Thanksgiving that my heart was failing due to two valves that weren't working properly. I had open heart surgery in January. I can't say I'm as good as new yet, but the doctors are very pleased with how active I am and they say I'm bouncing back remarkably fast. I'm just mad because I'm not running a 9 minute mile yet.

Oh Wendy..open heart. My husband had a that years ago. Bad mitral valve. He's been great that way! They were able to use his own extra skin to repair, no pigs valve, or artificial. I'll have to see if I can find Diana. :).

I always hatched. Spring, summer, Fall, and winter. I was so addicted. Kept them in the house for a while when it was cold..used a heat source in a nursery for the little. Now, no chickens for me..after 11 years. This used to be quite an active thread, not do much now. :idunno

I am in Mt Pleasant. For all you wonderful Utah chicken lovers, I have 2 questions:
1) Do any of you raise buff Sussex chickens?
2) Is it getting to late in the year to hatch eggs? (It is mid September now)

Thanks for your help.

1) Nope. There is a poultry show coming up next month in Farmington. I've always wanted to go. Hopefully this is the year I make it. I bet you can track down some breeders or good leads on breeders there.

2) Definitely not too late. I have a hatch on day 2 right now. They need a bit more but do just fine. By that I mean strong protection from the elements but not necessarily supplemental heat.

Back
Top Bottom