Utah!

I went to the IFA in Riverton today (I don't usually go to that one but I was meeting my parents to get 2 of my kids back from an sleepover) and holy cow, the chicks there are in bad shape. So much pasty butt, so many laying around looking generally sick and I think I may have seen a dead one. Oh my gosh, I would NEVER buy birds there. The IFA in AF has good enough conditions, the one in SLC where I got most of mine was good too. That Riverton IFA gives the entire company a bad name. They had no one over by the chicks, people were reaching in and choosing their own, obviously no one cared about the pasty butt. The pasty butt was very noticeable, not just a tiny bit but a lot. My daughter was really mad seeing all of it. So, don't buy any chicks from that IFA, they do not treat them well. I almost got a Delaware but I couldn't bring myself to get a sick baby and put her in with my healthy girls.

Thanks for the compliments on my run guys :) Will post the final project after paint. I do not paint the inside of my coop. I have been tempted to hang curtains in their window though, and hang pictures inside. I found a cute rooster picture from the DI I thought it would look cute hanging on their wall haha! I have however painted all those red posts in the run, and have never seen them picking. So far so good.

Cynthia--the little coop was your idea you just did not realize it. When you posted your "nursery hutch" I started thinking about this doghouse that I could makeover for a mini coop :) Now they will just come out to play, but no more running around all day in the yard, no more getting eaten by my dog when the kids let him outside by accident! Yes our guys are good to us! I know my DH is SICK of me and my yapping about chickens, but he is such a good sport. I promised him no more add ons til next spring.... (at the latest...)

Phoenix! your grandkids are cute huh! Did you have any black hatch? I thought it was funny how some were more silver and some more black. I like the black a lot actually so it was great, I was not expecting that. Looks cool with those yolky yellow bellies. I wish they would stay just like that, the penguin babies are always so cute, I wish adult chickens had the same colors.

Last edited:
I went to the IFA in Riverton today (I don't usually go to that one but I was meeting my parents to get 2 of my kids back from an sleepover) and holy cow, the chicks there are in bad shape.  So much pasty butt, so many laying around looking generally sick and I think I may have seen a dead one.  Oh my gosh, I would NEVER buy birds there.  The IFA in AF has good enough conditions, the one in SLC where I got most of mine was good too.  That Riverton IFA gives the entire company a bad name.  They had no one over by the chicks, people were reaching in and choosing their own, obviously no one cared about the pasty butt.  The pasty butt was very noticeable, not just a tiny bit but a lot. My daughter was really mad seeing all of it.  So, don't buy any chicks from that IFA, they do not treat them well.  I almost got a Delaware but I couldn't bring myself to get a sick baby and put her in with my healthy girls.

Cal ranch in Logan is this way. Makes me so crazy, I feel like I want to camp out there and take care of chicks all day. I have seen dead ones in there twice getting picked at. Plus before I knew better I got chicks in there and they were all mean as can be, tearing each other up. Sooo I opt to stay away from their chick bins. I will stay away from the Riverton store too,ugh! Both IFA's in Logan get great reviews from me :) I guess if anything we can post about how nasty their stores are and put a small dent in their business...it would be nice if they would find out and clean up their act.

Nice coop addition Casa. The ones we hatched from them were really quite too. And by the way your chicks are cuter then the ones we hatched.
Cynthia nice set up for the buttons. Might have to copy some of it. The boss wants to know what you have on the bottom of your cage for substrate?

What you are seeing in those pictures are just that plastic shelf lining. I went to Dry Den Stall Bedding..didn't care for that too well..it seemed to leave a smell..well, they do smell after a while, but it was a more over powering smell. I don't have the buttons any more. I wanted to try them for a while, but they do need to be kept in the house..like a Cockatiels..my opinion..they are so small. Go to the quail thread on here and see what others are using for their quails. I really did like the shelf lining though, just roll it up once a week, and out to the garbage. And when they are bigger, you don't usually have more than two or three in there anyway. Only two if you are pairing them to make babies. :) Some folks do two males, but they tend to fight from what I was reading here on BYC... Good luck, have fun. They are cute..make cute sounds when they are little.

Playing catch-up!
Saturday, the DH and I went into Logan to do some shopping at Lowe's and Home Depot. We were gone maybe an hour when our 14 year old daughter called and said "The chicks were picking on one of your Ameraucana's and she's got a bloody tail!" They went into a frenzy at the first drop of blood (still have no idea what originally happened but have a couple guesses) and they all started yanking on my poor girl's tail. Thank goodness the kids were here and able to pull her out right away, or it could have been MUCH worse! So little Ms Muffet (because of her cute muffs!) is in a little cage all by her lonesome, which is sad, but the fun part about it is she's bonding much closer to me now. :)
I cleaned up her tail and there doesn't seem to be any flesh wounds. It looks like one of her new tail feathers must have broken and those veins growing the new feathers bleed like crazy, causing the other chicks to freak out and go cannibalistic.

It was such a beautiful day today that I put all the chicks outside in one of my dog portable exercise pens, and I put the (cleaned up) wounded chick out with them. Totally supervised, of course. They didn't pick at her one bit, but I'm still not willing to put her in their brooder with them.

I think that the other "Ameraucana" chick is turning out to be a roo! Her/his comb is coming in and he/she is dominating all the Wyandottes that are almost twice his/her size. What do you all think? And what do you think his real geneology is? He doesn't have any inkling of a beard or muffs, and the color is baffling to me.

Lisa-I'm totally loving your coop/run!

~Sasha

Does anyone in the Logan area have an incubator they'd loan to me for a small fee? I think I may have just landed myself some Crele & barred Bantam Wyandotte eggs from a breeder in South Carolina! If not, then there's a person in Preston, ID I'm going to contact that incubates eggs for other people. :)

~Sasha

Playing catch-up! 
Saturday, the DH and I went into Logan to do some shopping at Lowe's and Home Depot.  We were gone maybe an hour when our 14 year old daughter called and said "The chicks were picking on one of your Ameraucana's and she's got a bloody tail!"  They went into a frenzy at the first drop of blood (still have no idea what originally  happened but have a couple guesses) and they all started yanking on my poor girl's tail.  Thank goodness the kids were here and able to pull her out right away, or it could have been MUCH worse!  So little Ms Muffet (because of her cute muffs!) is in a little cage all by her lonesome, which is sad, but the fun part about it is she's bonding much closer to me  now.  :)  
I cleaned up her tail and there doesn't seem to be any flesh wounds.  It looks like one of her new tail feathers must have broken and those  veins growing the new feathers bleed like crazy, causing the other chicks to freak out and go cannibalistic.

It was such a beautiful day today that I put all the chicks outside in one of my dog portable exercise pens, and I put the (cleaned up) wounded chick out with them.  Totally supervised, of course.  They didn't pick at her one bit, but I'm still not willing to put her in their brooder with them.  

I think that the other "Ameraucana" chick is turning out to be a roo!  Her/his comb is coming in and he/she is dominating all the Wyandottes that are almost twice his/her size.  What do you all think?  And what do you think his real geneology is? He doesn't have any inkling of a beard or muffs, and the color is baffling to me.  

Lisa-I'm totally loving your coop/run!

~Sasha

i am fairly sure you are right, you have a roo. he has the coloring of a ee roo for sure so if it walks like a duck and quakes like a duck, its a duck er roo. sorry.

I'm afraid I agree with birdman, Sasha. Your suspicion of that little EE being a roo is likely correct. His face is getting pretty red for his age, in my opinion. And he could just be a beardless Easter Egger. Whatever the case, he sure is cute! I'm loving his coloration.

Thanks for your fast responses, Bird man and Red. This little guy really is one of my favorites, if not THE favorite of the bunch. He's always the first to greet me and jump into my hand!

I agree with the others- he does seem to have the coloration of a boy. I'm sorry about the fight. I think it just happens sometimes, and like you said, once they see blood, they go nuts. I had a white leghorn before, and she was raised with the other chicks. When they were all over a year old, for whatever reason, they got mad at her and she got beat up pretty bad. I had to keep her separate from the others until she was fairly healed (those white feathers don't hide much), but after I put her back with the others, it was like nothing ever happened.

Sasha, Suzie from warmblood mentioned to me that she rents out incubators. There was an ad on KSL at one point, I'm not sure if she has any available right now though. I'd lend you mine (I live in the Davis/Weber area), except that I have to immediately set eggs on Thursday for my daughter's first grade at school. I'd be willing to incubate your eggs there for free, but it is risky in that the incubator will be out of my constant control.

Back
Top Bottom