Utah!

Just FYI - The IFA in Riverton is getting Delawares in their February 22nd order. I do so want to get some, but I'm still afraid of those tiny little babies. The youngest I've ever had were about 5 weeks old.

Marty - are all of the Delawares in your oder spoken for?

Quote:
Now how can you raise chickens if you're afraid of tiny day-olds?!
You'll do just fine. Besides, day-olds are cuter than 5 week old chicks. Those can be ugly...

Quote:
Well, sort of.

For the 7 extra I had, I got requests for 19+. So, I called the hatchery and doubled my order to 50.

After letting everyone know, they upped their orders for 48 of my 32 available. So I'll have to spread them out a bit and make a few available to everyone. If you'd like a couple, I'll save them for you.
Email me through BYC system, and I'll get you the information...

Also, do you know what IFA is charging for their Delawares?

Marty

p.s.
I built the floor frame on the new 8x8 coop tonight. I put one 4x8 plywood board on, and decided that was enough work for one night.
I've gotta put the other floor board on, and then figure out how to prime it and put porch paint on it, all while keeping it above 50º for 24 hours in this 30-40º Utah weather.

Or up it again to 75
big_smile.png

For the record, though, I'm not going to be upping my order. I still have no idea what I am going to do with the 6 total I want to get (that will put me at 14 hens) plus the breeding pair of Seramas I'll get next weekend....

Amateur my a.......unt Matilda. I'm just grateful I have a landlord that has allowed them.
tongue.png

I'll get the other 36 to round out my flock of 50 after I'm a rich lawyer with my own house. Or get a divorce settlement that allows me to get a house.

Day olds chicks were no problem last year. I used an old cockatiel cage for mine with a reptile heat lamp set on top. I got one of those little feeders and a waterer at IFA and put pebbles in the waterer so no one would drown and they were set. I think I'll use a storage bin this year like they recommend here since that would cut drafts but I didn't have any problems raising them last year.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing what you did. Perhaps I'll try it this year. How long do you keep them in the tote before they can join the rest of the chicken crew outside?

Back
Top Bottom