Utah!

Pasty butt is when their poop cakes over their vent thereby preventing elimination. Some of my son's chicks that he got from IFA had it but we just cleaned them off and they were fine but I've heard it can kill. I imagine it will weakens the chicks and if they are at the store for an extended period --say a few days-- they don't have as good of a chance of survival once you get them home. Thats just my guess--I just know its something you want to avoid but like I said, our chicks did okay once they were cleaned off
idunno.gif

WOW there's a lot of Utah newbeeies!!!
welcome-byc.gif
woot.gif
wee.gif

Last edited:
Tip: To treat pasty butt, carefully trim off the fluff right around the vent with fingernail scissors. This prevents pain that can be caused as you try to pull poop off the chick's fluff, and keeps poop from getting stuck again very easily.

So..... this weekend I got some babies from the IFA
smile.png

2 Wellsummers, 1 Aracauna, and 2 Cuckoo Marans. I was going to only get the Wellsummers and Aracauna, but when I saw that they had the Marans, I couldn't help myself. I "need" those dark brown eggs in my egg basket
wink.png

When I get the Delawares from Marty that will be 7 babies this year and 15 total in my flock. Hopefully that doesn't cause me to get evicted. Honestly, though, on an acre there's not much difference between 8 and 15 hens.

cool.png

CHICK ALERT
wee.gif

The IFA on 12400 south and 2000 something west got in some chicks Tuesday. RIR, leghorn, brown leghorn, black sex link, BO and Black ???. Last a very small quantity of SLRW. I WANT SOME SO BAD!!!
hit.gif

Okie Dokie..... here are the two Roosters I'm giving away. Both hatched the first week of August 2009. The white and black guy is an EE from McMurray, the black/brown one is a mixed breed (?) that a friend gave me as a chick. I live in North Ogden near Smith & Edwards...if you want either or both of these guys let me know. No charge, but you do have to come and pick them up
smile.png

Kellog.jpg

Kellog2.jpg

Rooster.jpg

Rooster2.jpg

OK, so..... has anyone had problems with chickens up and dying suddenly? My first one died about a month ago, and she seemed a little sluggish for a day or two beforehand but not alarmingly so. Today, I had an EE who had been just fine die with no apparent cause. What could be causing this? I've decided that if one more goes, I'll have a necropsy done at USU.

Quote:
Do they free range? Its possible they got into something..... I'm guessing they don't have any marks/blood on them either?

That's what I am wondering.... They do free range. Also I smelled a skunk detonation during the night - I don't know if that could kill them.

No blood, marks, etc. I did have a third one who died several months back, but in his case it was obvious trauma so I'm not counting him as a "mystery" death.

Quote:
Hmmmmm.... If the smell of skunk could kill, I'd have no chickens left! We get a LOT of skunk activity near me, and a few times its been so pungent in the middle of the night that its woken me up.

If you had chickens dropping left and right I'd be panicked...losing two over the course of a few months might just be a coincidence
fl.gif
Still hate to lose them, of course, but probably no need to be really worried about it IMO.

Back
Top Bottom