Utah!

I'm in Draper. Also a newbie to chickens and BYC. One thing that's stressing me is what to do with the chickens when they stop (or slow down) laying after a couple years. Any ideas? I want them more for contributing to our food supply and less for pets, even though they'll be treated like royalty...

Quote:
Welcome GALEX, and good question!

I'm just starting my 2nd year of raising chickens. I had planned on replacing my flock every year, but now my plans are to double my flock from last year, and replace my last years hens next year. So I'll replace half of the flock each year.

In mid-summer, early fall when my new batch has started to lay, and my oldest hens are about 2 1/2 years old, I'll put them on KSL for $10 or $12, as 'seasoned laying hens', and let someone else worry about sending them to freezer camp! You can go right to the KSL poultry section by clicking this link . Good luck!

Part of the Salt Lake chicken oridinence requires that I register my chickens but I can't find any information about where to register them. I was wondering if there were any other Salt Lakers around here who could tell me where we actually have to go to do the registering.

What's up everyone! I'm not actually in Utah yetttt... But I'm moving there in the summer! Mind if I keep in here til then?
big_smile.png

Yay!
big_smile.png
Right now it's the West Valley City part of Salt Lake City. But the bf's family whose gonna shelter me through college said they might move, so it ends up where they end up.
tongue.png

I visited during this winter, and goddess, it's beautiful there! I love the mountains. I wish there wasn't so much smog though.

I think the summer's just got more to look forward to!

I don't have chickens at this moment, I have silkie and silver laced wyandottes in the incubator right now. Tonight's day 10, so I'd hopefully have some in 11 days.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom