Utah!

Yes! I use it in the winter, a lot of folks like it all the time. I use the pine shavings in the summer.

Anyone in the Davis County area interested in an Isbar rooster? He's driving my neighbors crazy, and he needs a new home. He's less than a year old, so I guess he's technically still a cockerel. I got him to put an end to the bullying I was having trouble with, and he's done a great job. He's never shown the least bit of aggression towards people, even my young kids. Sad to see him go, but let me know if you're interested.

IMG_20190228_072332.jpg IMG_20190228_072345.jpg IMG_20190228_072402.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Everyone...

I am in the process of building my very first coop and run (Chickens are arriving in July). I have decided on Sand in the run area for a variety of reasons. The trouble I'm having is finding the right sort of sand I need where I live. I'm in the Salt Lake City area of Utah (unfortunately, small yard, smack in the city) and I need coarse washed sand without any fine particles. I'm having trouble finding this in my area. I've called several of the quarries (Butters Companies, Reynolds, Staker-Parson) to ask, and I always get the secretaries, who know nothing about their products and who could not tell me what I needed to know.

Is ANYONE here from Utah who has bought sand for their coop/run? If so, where did you get it and what was it called? And are you happy with it (ie, are your chickens thriving in it?) Or did you not like using sand? Thanks!

Hi Everyone...

I am in the process of building my very first coop and run (Chickens are arriving in July). I have decided on Sand in the run area for a variety of reasons. The trouble I'm having is finding the right sort of sand I need where I live. I'm in the Salt Lake City area of Utah (unfortunately, small yard, smack in the city) and I need coarse washed sand without any fine particles. I'm having trouble finding this in my area. I've called several of the quarries (Butters Companies, Reynolds, Staker-Parson) to ask, and I always get the secretaries, who know nothing about their products and who could not tell me what I needed to know.

Is ANYONE here from Utah who has bought sand for their coop/run? If so, where did you get it and what was it called? And are you happy with it (ie, are your chickens thriving in it?) Or did you not like using sand? Thanks!
I filled my run with bags of sand from Lowe's, worked great if your run is covered - otherwise when it mixes with all the poo and gets wet it kinda turns to cement. I've since switched over to sort of a mulch/wood chip material that is working better for me. The chickens poo in it, but are constantly digging in it looking for stuff and they turn it into really nice compost.

I hear that most folks..if using sand, use the kind that they get for children's sand boxes. I wouldn't know. :idunno .I've had chickens for years. In the beginning..I used the shavings. I'm also in the city/neighborhood. Now, I just let them dig around in the dirt floor of the run. Inside the coop, I use shavings...tried the sand in the coop..didn't care for it. :)

Back
Top Bottom