Utah!

Quote:
hmmm, I'm dealing with a bad neck, and into the back area too. Been to several drs. Finally got a MRI, have bad discs in the C's from 3 down. Then, had a nerve test because I'm having so much numbness and tingling in my arm. Sure enough, I also have Brachial Plexitis. Now, it seems it is enny meeny miny mow..or however you spell that, as to which one to work with. They prefer no surgery of course, which the discs may need, so, as I wait for the office to call to see what they want to do...Brachial P...can take care of itself at times. I'm hoping that's the case here, that this is the bulk of the pain, then, no surgery.
smile.png
Bad discs can be there, but cause no pain for years. I can wait for surgery.
Where do you get free straw?! Where do you get free pumpkin?!
tongue.png

Outside of Park City... we are partially up a mountain and in the shade after about Noon, and we get a wicked wind down fm the mountain.

Crap.... that means I'm going to need to capture them (won't be hard and build a run outside of my haybarn. They'll be fine in the barn (it's insulated) but I'll have to herd them out everytime I need to feed the horses or they'll escape and run back to where they spend their nights now. They love it there because there is a big screened vent so they are "sorta" near "their ladies".

darn darn darn.... most people would cull them and be done with it. No building, no feeding, no water for a little flock that doesn't lay. but I'm not most people....
roll.png

Anyone else in the boonies just let their roos loose?

Quote:
hmmm, I'm dealing with a bad neck, and into the back area too. Been to several drs. Finally got a MRI, have bad discs in the C's from 3 down. Then, had a nerve test because I'm having so much numbness and tingling in my arm. Sure enough, I also have Brachial Plexitis. Now, it seems it is enny meeny miny mow..or however you spell that, as to which one to work with. They prefer no surgery of course, which the discs may need, so, as I wait for the office to call to see what they want to do...Brachial P...can take care of itself at times. I'm hoping that's the case here, that this is the bulk of the pain, then, no surgery.
smile.png
tongue.png

Gosh, sorry for both of ya!
love.gif
I get a pinched nerve down my leg so I can feel the pain. Gets to where my toes are numb and ice cold. What I've found that has helped is a muscle relaxant at bed time, heating pad and elevating the leg. Several nights of this and it helps subside the pain until I tweak it again. Rinse, repeat.

Maybe we could place ads closer to halloween that we'd be willing to take the leftover pumpkins & straw. I'd love to have extras too for my girls!

Quote:
This is the same situation we're in. We have the five banty roos I rescued from the local feed store and as you know, nobody wants banty roos. I guess I'm not most people either....

Quote:
This is the same situation we're in. We have the five banty roos I rescued from the local feed store and as you know, nobody wants banty roos. I guess I'm not most people either....

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I'm beginning to look at the math on my older hens (I think 2 yrs old now) and their production. With them I have a banty partridge cochin that is broody. If you want her I could make sure my daughter's ok w/it. I'm thinking I will maybe give away the whole batch (10). They do have 3 banty roos in with them (not the free range ones) so the ladies have been 'loved on' a bit, but free range during the day so not 24/7 lovin. These are banty cochin roos so they can't fly up to the safe spot...hence in the coop.

This is where it really gets tough. Love the ladies, have been great layers but economics is forcing me to take a hard look at being realistic. If someone wants them (free) and would process them in a gentle, non stressful way I will seriously consider it. They have been fed a natural diet and all are full size (cept Ms. Broody). Let me know if you want her Cynthia, her name is M&M and she is very sweet, has not been picked on by the roos. My husband works in SL (like 1700 S 2700 W) and could bring her down. Edited to add: oops, I just looked at her and I she's a golden laced not partridge.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm beginning to look at the math on my older hens (I think 2 yrs old now) and their production. With them I have a banty partridge cochin that is broody. If you want her I could make sure my daughter's ok w/it. I'm thinking I will maybe give away the whole batch (10). They do have 3 banty roos in with them (not the free range ones) so the ladies have been 'loved on' a bit, but free range during the day so not 24/7 lovin. These are banty cochin roos so they can't fly up to the safe spot...hence in the coop.

This is where it really gets tough. Love the ladies, have been great layers but economics is forcing me to take a hard look at being realistic. If someone wants them (free) and would process them in a gentle, non stressful way I will seriously consider it. They have been fed a natural diet and all are full size (cept Ms. Broody). Let me know if you want her Cynthia, her name is M&M and she is very sweet, has not been picked on by the roos. My husband works in SL (like 1700 S 2700 W) and could bring her down. Edited to add: oops, I just looked at her and I she's a golden laced not partridge.

Golden Lace or Partridge, I would love to have her. I just have a small back yard flock. They all get along pretty good. No picking on each other, they know who's over who, and all they have to do is turn towards the one they are over, and they leave.
I have two cochins now, one is a black, I call her Fanny, because it looks like she is fanning her face when she scratches at her beak, and a mottled black that I call Baily, just because it came to me when I saw her. They are the best bantams. So going along with the trade mark of the large fowl cochin...gentle giant..these are gentle bantams. I have large fowl chickens too, and they all get along..it's great.
P.M. me and let me know when your hubby would want to come down. We are actually just off the old Spanish Fork Canyon RD..so he really wouldn't have to go out of his way very far. Oh wait, maybe he doesn't come down Spanish Fork Canyon?
Oh, wanted to ask, has she ever gone broody? I would love to have a little one go broody. ( I know where to get some fertile eggs..
wink.png
) Haven't experienced this yet..my black girl just started laying, and the other hasn't. Just waiting. To see cute little babies running with mama. I have a special pen...you can see it in the pictures here, that I am going to use for broody mom, or moms.
smile.png

Let me know when is best. She will have a great warm place for the winter. P.M. me!

I'm here just been busy with work and getting the new goats
wee.gif
settled in so lots of time being spent over on backyard herds reading and learning everything I can about goats. Also getting everything ready for the cold and wet that is comming
he.gif
and that white stuff that will be here all too soon
barnie.gif

Quote:
Aww, goats. How fun.

I know I am getting ready for the cold. I have a light in my chicken coop, in my broody coop, and in my dog's house. They should be fine if the power stays on.
smile.png

Quote:
smile.png
tongue.png

Gosh, sorry for both of ya!
love.gif
I get a pinched nerve down my leg so I can feel the pain. Gets to where my toes are numb and ice cold. What I've found that has helped is a muscle relaxant at bed time, heating pad and elevating the leg. Several nights of this and it helps subside the pain until I tweak it again. Rinse, repeat.

Maybe we could place ads closer to halloween that we'd be willing to take the leftover pumpkins & straw. I'd love to have extras too for my girls!

my spine is just off, in 07 it was off by 65% and it has gotten worse. its hard for them to do x-rays because they have to peace it so much. have had mri's done before. yeah i have had my share of medical issues with the major ones being my back and heart but that is life i guess, just wish they could come later in life but it is what it is. around here people buy bales of straw for decorating and just toss it in the trash when they are done but that takes a lot of room in the can so if they can get rid of it in a easy and quick way they do it. a friend of mine just drives around after halloween in a truck and when he sees people taking down the decorations he will stop and offer to take the straw off their hands and they almost always do it and he has gone into neighborhoods and got a lot of straw, one time he got over 20 bales just driving in one neighborhood. for pumkins you can go to the stores and get ones that get broken or to old and offer to take them or even pay them 5 cents or so and most places will do it, now i have not done it but friends have. also people who use them to decorate will often just trash them so just look for that. i like free or very cheap stuff
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom