Uterine Prolapse? (pic included)

Mittmom

Chirping
Oct 19, 2021
We had our first hen die yesterday. She was only 1 1/2 and it was very shocking since she was fine half the day and even laid. I examined her in an attempt to figure out a cause and noticed her vent didn’t look normal. Is this a prolapsed uterus? If so, does this just happen sometimes? I read it mostly occurs when hens first start laying or if they’re overweight, neither of which apply to her.

Attachments

• ED6EE7B2-67ED-4EA3-9870-565E969A0FD7.jpeg
    ED6EE7B2-67ED-4EA3-9870-565E969A0FD7.jpeg
    592.4 KB · Views: 16
I didn’t see any text in your reply…🤔
Purelychicks was just trying to get the attention of some members who might have some ideas for you :)

My two cents are that it does look like she had a small vent prolapse (caused my any sort of straining: egg or poop), but it's hard to know for sure if that is related to her sudden death. (I've seen cases of much worse prolapses where the hens are still going about their business like nothing is wrong.) An at home necropsy might give you some answers (you could see if she had an obstruction or impaction in her digestive tract or oviduct), but I know that's not for everyone. Depending on where you are you may also have a state lab or something that could do a necropsy for you in the future if you lose more birds mysteriously.

Sorry for loss.

Purelychicks was just trying to get the attention of some members who might have some ideas for you :)

My two cents are that it does look like she had a small vent prolapse (caused my any sort of straining: egg or poop), but it's hard to know for sure if that is related to her sudden death. (I've seen cases of much worse prolapses where the hens are still going about their business like nothing is wrong.) An at home necropsy might give you some answers (you could see if she had an obstruction or impaction in her digestive tract or oviduct), but I know that's not for everyone. Depending on where you are you may also have a state lab or something that could do a necropsy for you in the future if you lose more birds mysteriously.

Sorry for loss.
Thank you!

Thank you so much for trying to help. I was thinking about what Razzlefrazzle said about performing a necropsy myself. Not sure I’d be up for that and it’s too late now anyway. The thought of another one dropping dead is scary. If it happens I will try and go to a lab. I’m fairly certain we have a place in the vicinity- a large Vet University where I know people take their animals, as well as state agencies.
The hen laid a normal egg prior to her death so it’s just so mysterious. Sigh. I’m assuming an obstruction in her digestive tract would mean she ate something she shouldn’t have?
I also had the feeling (by looking at others’ posts and searching online) that the prolapse seemed pretty minor, possibly too minor to cause sudden death.
Well, thanks again for the support!

Back
Top Bottom