Va Snow

wow! that is alot of snow! im in orange co here and the Drifts are Huge! dh kept getting calls last night to take dispatchers home or puul ppl out of the snow. LOL. SO... when will ya'll be letting out those chickens? Mine dont like the snow, if i could get thier food and water in the coops without them just being spilled, i wouldnt bother opening them today. BUT if they want to eat, they gotta come out. it is SO funny to watch them. the start to run out, get to the bottom of the ramp and Stop Dead, they look at me, than fight each other to get back in the coop, lol. the little showgirl/ silkies dont even come out. they just look at me like I'M stupid for being out in it. me and the kids are waiting for the wind to die down before heading out.

I think this record breaking snow storm is my fault. I paid off the house yesterday morning.......
Laid in bed last night listening to the roof groan and waiting for the giant oak to come crashing down on top of me.

Why is it the snow always piles up in drifts in front of the coops? Everywhere I've lived it does this. Is it a natural law or something?
4477_p1010008.jpg

Just came in from shoveling some of the run so the girls could get out. All in vein though, they wouldn't even get close to the pop door.

Chicken_D
Goode, VA

Quote:
Last year when I had a smaller flock and they'd been cooped up for about a week... I let them out after it had snowed. They flew out all excited and then freaked out when they landed in the snow. Watching them trying to make their way back into the coop was hysterical.
smile.png

I think for now I'll leave my girls in their coop to keep warm. It's still coming down at a good clip... I just know if I shovel, I'll be doing it again later.
roll.png

We were stuck last night during all of this mess. It took us 9 hours to make a 45 trip. Power lines were down across the roads, tractor trailers jack-knifed, cars in ditches, basically just horrible. I've never seen snow pile up so fast. We finally made it home at midnight last night. Had to ditch the vehicle half-way up the hill and walk but at least we made it home. I hope everyone is safe and warm.

Here are a few pic's I took this morn.......loving it and so are my aussies!!

They sleep under the porch so they came straight out and on top of the porch. They was like Oh but no I'm not goin out there.....
21968_dsc_09871.jpg

Crazy Pheasants, notice the paneling stacked up behind them to keep the snow and wind off
21968_dsc_09821.jpg

some of my juvy's
21968_dsc_0985.jpg

my cochins that hang with the pheasants
21968_dsc_09831.jpg

Dixie
21968_dsc_09661.jpg

Tucker
21968_dsc_09681.jpg

Ozzy
21968_dsc_0993.jpg

some views from my house
21968_dsc_0973.jpg

21968_dsc_09741.jpg

Notice my car half way down the driveway..LOL

21968_dsc_0976.jpg

Oh cant forget porkchop
21968_dsc_09881.jpg

Last edited:
Our girls took one look outside the door and decided to stay in all day. We put a tarp over their run after about 4" fell yesterday, and between the tarp and the snow they're pretty worried. I brought them leftover oatmeal pancakes this morning, and someone gave us an egg in spite of it all. We have 22" here in Charlottesville and it's still coming down steadily.

Back
Top Bottom