vacation hen house surprise

Dangit!!!! Do all roosters crow and at what age do they start? We got them june 5 and they were fuzzy no feathers yet? How long you think Do you think we have before he starts crowing?

What a thoughtful husband you are!
I know how hard it is when one of your favorites turns out to be a rooster.
My 5 year old son's bird which was a barred standard Cochin turned out to be a rooster. Dang! It was a good thing I had found and purchased a barred rock pullet a few days later as a back up bird. It lessened the blow for him when we had to rehome some of the roosters. He still mentions "Coach" every now and again even months later. We did end up keeping one rooster thou and we thought we wouldn't have any either.
wink.png

Good luck with your surprise.

Quote:
I have a Golden Laced Wyandotte rooseter that's 21 weeks. He's crow's his head off in the morning. But I don't see the bad part. Uncontrolled dogs barking and male cats screaming are louder and a lot more irritating than he is. He crow's and that's it for the day. These dogs bark all day. Wow, the complaint about the hens is really hard to understand in comparison.

If you really think your wife will want more chicks a little later, I would go with the larger coop size. Sheets of plywood come 4x8. It would be very easy to make this your floor space. You could use three more sheets for the walls.... Two 4x8s and one 4x8 for the short side walls. That would make your wall height around 4 feet tall. Just a thought as I have 6x12 feet of space inside a 12x20 wooden barn and now wish I had gone with 8x12
smile.png

ETA: This would give you comfortable room for eight birds and would do for ten if needed

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom