Vacation in the summer for two weeks? Who will watch my chickens?

We have a neighbor girl we trust take care of our birds. They were just babies last year and a lot of work (ducks and guineas) but she was really great! We didn't have eggs at that time, but we did pay her. I don't know if you have anyone near you, but I've seen people by us advertise that will pet sit any size animals. You could look into that too.

Where are you on LI? I'm in Smithtown. I'd watch them for you and you could be my back up sitter [my neighbor across the street usually does it, but we do sometimes go away at the same time]

my friends teenage son will be stopping every day when we go away for a couple days at the end of the month. I have chicks that will be 4 weeks old with a broody momma too. I bought another waterer for the rest of them and I already have a large feeder I will fill up that lasts a week. Im getting a new feeder for the chicks and mom and I bought a larger waterer for them too. Its the dog I have a problem finding a place for
roll.png

Whoever you decide to get to "pet sit", it is a good idea to leave them written instructions. Things you do routinely for you, will not be routine for the sitter. (In the case of my dogs & Parrots, I even alert my vet that I am going to be away & make arrangements for Emergency care of my critters with the vet & I will take care of payment when I return)

We have a farm sitter that we have used now for 5 yrs. It's pricey to have her come out but she takes care of the dogs, cats, horses, chickens, comes in and feeds the fish brings in the mail, takes the garbage out. She will come out once or twice a day depending on what you want, she also leaves detailed notes for every visit. Last year we were in Mass. (from Florida) and there was a terrible thunderstorm that came through. My FIL who lives on our property had a dog that was terrified of thunder. Well, she tore through the screen and was no where to be found. She was 13 and mostly blind and deaf. Our sitter put up signs for her (she did have a collar w/tags) and came looking several times a day. Someone called a couple of days later that they had found her! My sitter went and picker her up and made sure she couldn't escape again. Can't thank her enough for that as my FIL was ready to end the trip a week early to come home to help look for his dog (not that I blame him). She has always been wonderful and treats our animals as her own. She also has a strict policy about people calling when they get home from wherever they were. She WILL keep coming out to feed/water if she doesn't here from you. She never knows if you were delayed due to traffic or illness so she takes no chances on animals going hungry/thirsty.

I would check with your local feedstore and see if there are any ads for petsitters or ask someone there if they know of any.
I found mine by doing an on-line search.

I contacted our local home school and found two sisters and their mother, who also agreed to feed our cats and dog.

Besides paying them $10 a day, they got all the eggs and were thrilled.

As our trip two years ago was in April, they used this as a project for their home school. They kept a diary and wrote a report.

We've used them twice since then, and they've been great!

Love my barred rock girls: Millie, Tillie, Gertie, & Flo.

Quote:
Hi all and garp94, thanks for all the replies! :–) Garp94, my phone number is 631-219-6378, call me so we can talk! :–) Everyone else: Thanks for all the advice! I will try and look now for a pet sitter in advance of our impending summer vacation. I was going to ask neighbors but my chicks probably won't be laying until the fall, so they'll be relatively few rewards for them in that department. Plus, I hardly know them. I think my best bet is to pay someone responsible that I know will look after my new babies.
smile.png

I have 4 Ducklings - 4-5 weeks old we are only going away for a few days in a month will they require full attention or is a visit once a day to check on them ok? Or are they ok on their own for a few days?

Also when they become adults if we go away over the weekend will they be ok on their own if left in a coop that also has a fenced in pen with in/out access for them to roam or do they need someone to check in on them let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

If at all possible I'd suggest having someone come over to check on your birds at least once a day. Just to be sure everyone's safe, that no one has tipped over their dishes, that all the fences are secure. The younger your birds, the more attention they will require. I keep my chicks & ducklings caged or brought up to the porch each night to keep them safe from predators.

I own a pet sitting business. To find an insured pet sitter, you can try going to petsit.com. In the pet owner section, put in your zip code to see if any professional pet sitters are listed in your area. Many of us have experience with all types of animals.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom