Vacation- leave coop door open at night?!

Pics
If you’re going to do this, you really need to 4000% quadruple check the predator proofing. We thought we had a safe pen and in a matter of 20 minutes most of our flock was lost to a dog attack years back who ripped through the wire. Know your predators whether wild or domestic. Be careful! If you can, try and ask a friend or other family member to “chicken-sit” for you that you trust.

If you’re going to do this, you really need to 4000% quadruple check the predator proofing. We thought we had a safe pen and in a matter of 20 minutes most of our flock was lost to a dog attack years back who ripped through the wire. Know your predators whether wild or domestic. Be careful! If you can, try and ask a friend or other family member to “chicken-sit” for you that you trust.
I personally would only let them in my run since that is predator proof, no free ranging. We have lots of predators and weasels need a very small hole to get into and eliminate the entire flock. They can easily fit through a chicken wire hole.
it’s just I don’t wan to leave them in their coop for a week, I’ve done it once and they make a mess and I know they would like to run free.

Back
Top Bottom