Vacation- leave coop door open at night?!

Pics
If you’re going to do this, you really need to 4000% quadruple check the predator proofing. We thought we had a safe pen and in a matter of 20 minutes most of our flock was lost to a dog attack years back who ripped through the wire. Know your predators whether wild or domestic. Be careful! If you can, try and ask a friend or other family member to “chicken-sit” for you that you trust.

Alright thank
It is, but you can make it a little nicer by giving them plenty of stuff to scratch in: maybe a giant pile of dead leaves, or a few bales of hay or straw, or if you have a compost pile you could dump it all in there for them to scratch around and eat bugs.

And if they are free to go out and range in the daytime, but no-one is available to close the door at night, then a predator could easily come in to eat them. Bored for a week is better than dead.
Ok, thank you all for the advice. I will leave them in to keep my babies safe! :)

So you think I should just keep them enclosed? The run isn’t too big, but they can still stretch their legs.
If your run and coop are predator proof, I personally would allow them access to the run but no free-ranging. I'm not sure of your set up. My run has a roof, and apron, along with hardware cloth everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom