Vacation- leave coop door open at night?!

If you’re going to do this, you really need to 4000% quadruple check the predator proofing. We thought we had a safe pen and in a matter of 20 minutes most of our flock was lost to a dog attack years back who ripped through the wire. Know your predators whether wild or domestic. Be careful! If you can, try and ask a friend or other family member to “chicken-sit” for you that you trust.
Most of my family is going out for vacation for fall break.

Try to use your best judgement and make sure your run is enclosed and prepared/proofed. There are also options of automatic coop doors. You could look into a Nest cam in order to check on them while you are gone to help you feel more secure. Do you have any friends who are experienced with chickens who could check in on them? Just be prepared for predators if you leave them out, especially with no human presence.

So you think I should just keep them enclosed? The run isn’t too big, but they can still stretch their legs.
If your run and coop are predator proof, I personally would allow them access to the run but no free-ranging. I'm not sure of your set up. My run has a roof, and apron, along with hardware cloth everywhere.

So I’m leaving for about a week. Will it be ok to keep my run door open at night because I don’t want to leave my chickens in their coop for that long?

Do you mean they would have access to a coop and run?
Or do you mean they could also go in and out to free range?

Because if they can go out to range, a cat or fox or raccoon could come in at night to eat them, too.

Back
Top Bottom