• Yes

Votes: 64 27.0%
  • No

Votes: 146 61.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 27 11.4%

• Total voters
Pics
So I know nothing about genetics and how/what/why things are or are not passed along. Why is it that immunity is passed but the virus isn't? Doesn't there have to be some virus level in the chick to have immunity?
The antibody is a protein that the hen is able to pass into eggs. The Marek’s virus lives in white blood cells, which are not passed into eggs. Therefore, MDV antibody can be passed into eggs, but the virus itself cannot (there are other chicken viruses that can be transmitted in eggs, however, so it depends on the virus). Unfortunately, immunity to MDV is not passed along very well as antibody. Antibodies work very well against some viruses, like rabies, but poorly against others, like herpesviruses. Most of the research into maternal antibodies has therefore focused on whether it inhibits vaccine efficacy. Sharing some more relevant articles in case you’re interested:

MDV not transmitted in ova
Evidence against embryo transmission of Marek's disease virus

Comprehensive overview
BioMed Central › veterinaryresearch › ...Marek's disease in chickens: a review with focus on immunology | Veterinary Research | Full Text

Natural resistance
AACR Journals › cancerres › canresNatural Mechanisms of Controlling Lymphotropic Herpesvirus Infection (Marek's Disease)in the ...

The antibody is a protein that the hen is able to pass into eggs. The Marek’s virus lives in white blood cells, which are not passed into eggs. Therefore, MDV antibody can be passed into eggs, but the virus itself cannot (there are other chicken viruses that can be transmitted in eggs, however, so it depends on the virus). Unfortunately, immunity to MDV is not passed along very well as antibody. Antibodies work very well against some viruses, like rabies, but poorly against others, like herpesviruses. Most of the research into maternal antibodies has therefore focused on whether it inhibits vaccine efficacy. Sharing some more relevant articles in case you’re interested:

MDV not transmitted in ova
Evidence against embryo transmission of Marek's disease virus

Comprehensive overview
BioMed Central › veterinaryresearch › ...Marek's disease in chickens: a review with focus on immunology | Veterinary Research | Full Text

Natural resistance
AACR Journals › cancerres › canresNatural Mechanisms of Controlling Lymphotropic Herpesvirus Infection (Marek's Disease)in the ...
Thank you for all of the information :highfive:

I don't vaccinate for anything.

The Mareks vaccine doesn't prevent, instead it hides the symptoms. As long as the sick bird is alive it's shedding the virus potentially making every other bird in your flock sick.

I feel that this approach is the best way to build a flock with a strong, natural immunity to disease. If we have a sick bird then I'll observe for a period of time. If things get worse, we put it down without delay.

No, the two survivors were killed shortly afterwards by raccoons. The whole experience was a little traumatizing and I didn't get chickens again until years later, when we had already moved.
:hugs I can't imagine how traumatizing it was.

I had a rooster I loved die on my lap out of the blue 4 years ago and I never kept a rooster again until Squatch. I honestly don't think I could handle losing them all.

I don't vaccinate for anything.

The Mareks vaccine doesn't prevent, instead it hides the symptoms. As long as the sick bird is alive it's shedding the virus potentially making every other bird in your flock sick.

I feel that this approach is the best way to build a flock with a strong, natural immunity to disease. If we have a sick bird then I'll observe for a period of time. If things get worse, we put it down without delay.
Thanks for chiming in. I always love to hear what you have to say!

What age do you get the pox vaccine?

I haven't experienced pox with my birds yet
It is recommended at 1 day. If not given then you can still vaccinate your flock. You must ensure no active pox before vaccinating. It is relatively inexpensive ($20.00) to purchase the vials (which will do more chickens than a back yard keeper has) from Jeffers. You can also get the special double needle applicator from them.

Back
Top Bottom