• No

Votes: 146 61.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 27 11.4%

• Total voters
Pics
This is why I was confused:
View attachment 2010027
I don't know if Murdochs here vaccinates or not, I never thought to ask. After reading everyone's opinions/ideas/theories/experiences, I would continue to vaccinate. Although, it's not in my plan to actually buy any more chickens, only raise them from home.

Is MDV more prevalent in warmer climates or does it make any difference? I haven't seen that question or answer yet.
That would be my previous flock that I had before this one, the flock that I have right now has not been vaccinated to my knowledge unless the farm that orders from a hatchery has them vaccinated before I get them. I would think that they would tell me that they were vaccinated.

I don't know if it's more prevalent in warmer climates, I honestly have not seen it or heard about it in my area from others that have raised chickens.

Once again I just want to say how interesting (and eye opening) I find this thread. As of Wednesday I discovered (from lab testing) that I am now dealing with Mareks. It sucks.

I did make a separate thread about it so that I don’t derail this one too much.

My flock is of course now closed. Luckily I hadn’t sold or given away any birds yet, but I originally was hoping to breed. Obviously I won’t be anymore.

My chickens were not vaccinated. Not sure where I picked it up, but have a couple ideas. It’s amazing how once you start dealing with something it can change your views.

I think I already said it here but I’ll say it again, I will only be getting vaccinated chicks in the future. I have learned that enjoying my chickens is more important to me than anything else.

Once again I just want to say how interesting (and eye opening) I find this thread. As of Wednesday I discovered (from lab testing) that I am now dealing with Mareks. It sucks.

My flock is of course now closed. Luckily I hadn’t sold or given away any birds yet, but I originally was hoping to breed. Obviously I won’t be anymore.

My chickens were not vaccinated. Not sure where I picked it up, but have a couple ideas. It’s amazing how once you start dealing with something it can change your views.

I think I already said it here but I’ll say it again, I will only be getting vaccinated chicks in the future. I have learned that enjoying my chickens is more important to me than anything else.
I am sorry Canuck!!! Discovering that you have Marek’s is a sad game changer.:hit

:-( so sorry!

This is why I was confused:
View attachment 2010027
I don't know if Murdochs here vaccinates or not, I never thought to ask. After reading everyone's opinions/ideas/theories/experiences, I would continue to vaccinate. Although, it's not in my plan to actually buy any more chickens, only raise them from home.

Is MDV more prevalent in warmer climates or does it make any difference? I haven't seen that question or answer yet.

Murdochs does not vaccinate according to this:
https://www.murdochs.com/learning-center/chickens/how-to-raise-chickens/

Two vets who have seen my hens both believe strongly in getting the vaccine, though I think one was not aware of the leaky vaccine research (2017, linked early in this thread) that indicates vaccinated birds put unvaccinated birds at much greater risk. But here's how Gail Damerow ("Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" and other books many of us trust) responded when I asked for her opinion: "Growing chicks separately from other chickens while they develop immunity is still my best recommendation. I certainly would not recommend combining vaccinated and unvaccinated chickens. Where that might be an issue, I'd rather not vaccinate any. I don't vaccinate. At one time I did. I never saw any significant differences between the flocks I vaccinated and those I didn't." She recommends rearing chicks away from the established flock for 5 months.
Meant to add that Damerow is also the author of "The Chicken Health Handbook," and blogs at both gaildamerow.com and https://blog.cacklehatchery.com/author/gailcackle/ Her books have been a great help in my 20 years of keeping hens, and I trust her on this issue.

I get mine all vac from the hatchery they give mareck's only. I have my original chickens that are 9 years old only have had 3 ever die and I believe it was from natural causes. The 3 died in different years. Even my 9 year old “old ladies” still lay at least one day a week. They free range, I give them layer and cracked corn. I stopped giving cracked corn at one point in time and they stopped laying so I give cracked corn everyday, not a lot but one scoop. I have a second group that is 3 years old, all well no problems and I’m getting 26 more the end of Februar, I have no idea what other vacs there are, but the hatchery tells me best to get the mareck's vac so I do. They charge me I think a few cents each chick For the vacs.
Mareck's disease -- nervous system: Introduction
Mareck's disease -- nervous system: A viral disease that affects poultry - it is very contagious and is a herpes virus. The virus tends to affect the nerves and cause tumors in internal organs. Poultry may be unable to lay eggs or may even die. Young birds are more susceptible than older birds with death most common between the ages of 8 and 20 weeks. The virus may attack the nervous system and result in paralysis or it may attack the visceral system and cause tumors in the internal organs. Some birds may die without any obvious symptoms. More detailed information about the symptoms, causes, and treatments of Mareck's disease -- nervous system is available below.
The vaccine can actually cause Mareck's in your flock. Best to let nature take its course.

Back
Top Bottom