Vaccination

EggSighted; your feelings about the usefulness of rabies vaccinations for our animals are sadly way too optimistic! There is rabies in California (look it up!) and the reason few dogs are infected is because of required vaccinations. Our dogs, cats, horses, and cattle are all vaccinated here, and so am I, after some exposure adventures.
Mary

EggSighted; your feelings about the usefulness of rabies vaccinations for our animals are sadly way too optimistic! There is rabies in California (look it up!) and the reason few dogs are infected is because of required vaccinations. Our dogs, cats, horses, and cattle are all vaccinated here, and so am I, after some exposure adventures.
Mary
Thank you! Sorry, it's true that I am not that educated about rabies. I tend to go with what the vet recommends in addition to abiding by the law. It was the only example I could come up with at the time. :oops:

Always appreciate your info. :highfive:

I get excited about this! Parvo kills dogs, and rabies kills people! Way too many pets aren't vaccinated, and it's not a good thing for anyone.
I talked to a veterinarian who had a pet clinic in Ohio in the early 1950's, before dog licensing was mandated there. He had THREE dogs with rabies in his waiting room one Monday morning!
Mary

Marek's vaccine MUST be given shortly after hatch to be effective. I personally WON'T have Marek's vaccinated birds at my place since it does NOT prevent them from catching it but just masks the symptoms IF they do get it, allowing it to live on among your flock. The vaccine generally stops the tumors from forming that cause the paralysis that makes it's presence known. Vaccinated bird can still catch and shed Marek's without people noticing. Birds may be slowly wasting or more easily succumb to other things like parasites. Many other things can look like Marek's including nutritional deficit.
I disagree, I think that there would still be some level of immunity provided, even if they were vaccinated at an older age, although the vaccine may not be as effective if they are vaccinated at an older age. Read this study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2643530/

Most common vaccines are for coccidiosis or Marek's... Coccidiosis can be avoided by not over crowding your brooder, keeping it dry and clean... It is ONLY a problem when there is a bloom and they numbers grow out of control... Marek's vaccine MUST be given shortly after hatch to be effective. I personally WON'T have Marek's vaccinated birds at my place since it does NOT prevent them from catching it but just masks the symptoms... no wild bird feeders that attract extra [wild birds] is one good method of deterrent...

I think that there are 7 major strains of Marek's Disease viruses. Each major Marek's strain has it's own separate vaccine. There are an unknown number of minor Marek's Viruses. It is virtually impossible to protect against every strain of Marek's. Besides Marek's is rampant in the wild bird population so running wild birds off of your property may be your best defense. Do as you think best.

Back
Top Bottom