Vaccinations & Worming

KalikoFarms

Songster
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
When do I vaccinate and worm my babies? They are coming on 1 month and so far are very healthy and would like to keep them that way.
Thanks
Rita

What kind of vaccinate you are doing for peafowl, I wormed my babies from one month old but VACCINATION
idunno.gif

I wouldn't think it would be good to vaccinate unless your other birds have something or you know your ground will give them something... vaccinations are "dead" virus/infection that causes the body to create an antibody pattern it can use to fight the living virus when it encounters it... but in some cases the virus is live and can cause your bird to shed infection to your other birds. I don't remember off hand which one that was for poultry, but I know it was used mainly to vaccinate birds coming into a flock that was already positive for the disease.

When you worm your birds, you're not -preventing- them from getting worms... you're preventing them from getting a heavy enough load of worms to kill them. All of the wormers for things like roundworms and tapeworms and cap worms that I know of (and I work for a living amongst vets) do this. Wormers are typically poisons which wipe out the current load of worms your bird has (and if your bird has access to eating bugs or soil outdoors, you bird almost certainly has worms in some capacity) and forces colonies to start over or find a way to reinfect if they haven't left eggs behind.

So -of course- I worm my birds, but I don't vaccinate them. The reason we vaccinate children before they go to school is because we KNOW there are children they may be exposed to that may have things... which is why you would vaccinate your birds, if you knew there was something (or even thought there would be something) they would be exposed to in daily life that they could catch.

Worming is done to prevent them from getting worms. You don't want to wait till they get worms to worm them by that time alot of damage is done. Most breeder that raises peafowl know this. I also give my peachicks metronidazole once a week they don't have blackhead but it use to prevent them from getting it. I don't vaccinate my birds but I know several breeders do most have alot of chickens and turkey running around.

Please look up how wormers work if you think they are a preventative rather than a cleanser. Wormers are anthelmintics or antihelminthics (stunners or killers) that kill off the current load of worms your bird has. I'm not making this up for kicks, it's just how they work. It's how they work in your cats, its how they work in your dogs, it is how they work in your chickens, cows, horses, donkeys, goats, (insert creature name here) and yes, your peacocks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthelmintic

You can argue with me about this, but it won't change how they work. I've worked around vets and science my entire life. My mother is a biomedical researcher, and I work with a team of vets for a living. The vet sitting next to me -right now- is shaking his head at your concept of preventative worming.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom