Vaccinations

luvanimals3

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Georgia
Ok so give me the pros and the cons of the vaccines. And what is suggested for vaccinations for chickens? I have done some research but would like to ask all you very informative chicken people what you guys think and would suggest!
wink.png

I am also in GA and would love an answer to this question too! I'd like to know what kind of illnesses should I worry about for this area, GA has a lot of bugs... lol Hope you get some answers soon!
wink.png

Quote:
LOL you and me both! I want to vaccinate but dont want to over vaccinate for dieases that are generally not present in Ga! I actually have my chicks in my barn and with a small fly system from Tractor Supply for like forty bucks really helps alot. I dont have it directly over them but where the mist goes down the center of the aisle. It really helps.

I would suggest you research both sides of vaccination thoroughly (actual studies, not just someone says do it or do not do it) and make your own decision. This is a topic that often starts argument (some of which I have participated in) and I find that people can get pretty rude about it, belittling those of the opposite (usually minimal) opinion. Do not go by what anyone else tells you. Hopefully people will respond and LIST SOURCES (I do not have time to dig mine out right now) and you can make an educated decision based on what you feel is best.

My personal feeling on vaccinations is that they are very hard on the immune system. Certain vaccines are necessary (like rabies in dogs), and certain circumstances madate other vaccines (like disease outbreaks or endemic areas), but many have side effects much worse than the disease itself and some are just plain ineffective (like leptospirosis in dogs). Vaccines are not natural and stress the immune system. I believe that good food, fresh water, a clean environment, and just generally doing whatever I can to promote health in my animals is the best road for me. Over vaccination is so rampant and accepted (like yearly boosters for dogs and the ten thousand shots that babies get at a time) with no thought given to the damage they are doing.

I know nothing about vaccination directly related to chickens as we do not vaccinate our birds and have never had an incidence of any disease.

Check what may be rampant in your area, read the possible side effects of the vaccines, and make an educated decision from that point. Do not let anyone tell you that you have to do it one way or another, you have to do what you feel is right for you and your situation.

Sorry if I was not really very helpful
smile.png

LOL you and me both! I want to vaccinate but dont want to over vaccinate for dieases that are generally not present in Ga! I actually have my chicks in my barn and with a small fly system from Tractor Supply for like forty bucks really helps alot. I dont have it directly over them but where the mist goes down the center of the aisle. It really helps.

That fly system sounds really cool... do you remember the name. My coop is pretty small but we are having issues with fly's and I would love to figure something out. I did read in a book to ask a local vet what vaccines are needed for your area. I dont know if that would help but at the same time I dont want to call a vet and get charged for something they dont REALLY need. What area of GA are you in... we are in the south.​

No way you were plenty helpful! Even having a closed flock dieases can get by( you know how it goes). I just want to prevent as much as possible with as little of vaccines as needed. Thank you!

Thank you rizq! That is helpful to me as well... I was feeling like I might be neglecting them a bit by not having vaccines. I feel much better now... Just like luvanimals...I dont want to have what I dont need!

Quote:
That fly system sounds really cool... do you remember the name. My coop is pretty small but we are having issues with fly's and I would love to figure something out. I did read in a book to ask a local vet what vaccines are needed for your area. I dont know if that would help but at the same time I dont want to call a vet and get charged for something they dont REALLY need. What area of GA are you in... we are in the south.

North Ga and I dont even know of a vet that knows about chickens. Kit Country Vet Control Kit from tractor supply. If you have a good breeze that blows all the time this fly system might not work as well.

Back
Top Bottom